Friday, June 01, 2007

This and That

Aside

At 9am I was ready and waiting for my ‘refresher‘driving lesson. Pete the instructor managed to find the house without the usual phone call half way up the hill, which was a good omen. We shook hands and he asked me to get in the driving seat of this gaudily emblazoned, driving school car. After a brief chat when I gave him a potted version of my driving history, I made myself comfortable, started the engine and stalled.

From then on it was a very positive experience with encouraging feed back on various manoeuvres. One thing I learned early on was not to bother to indicate when overtaking parked cars as it can be misleading, and to use my left mirror turning left; and my right mirror turning right. I drove non stop for two hours – through towns, difficult junctions and very narrow country lanes where I had to reverse for a lorry.

Four times he said,

‘Pat you are a good, safe driver.’

Apparently there are driving aids one can attach to all three mirrors and the rear window to give you a panoramic view and we are going to get these on my next lesson when I shall be driving our larger car. This will be more of a challenge, without the protection of the driving school paraphernalia. We are going to drive to our county town - with all that involves. I’m feeling upbeat and hope by the end of four more two- hour lessons I really shall be ’a good safe driver.’

I asked Pete if he was ever frightened and he said once he told a learner to turn right at the roundabout and the learner did just that omitting to go round the round about first. Another client, who was a young man, fell asleep whilst driving. It was the day before his test and the next day he took his test and passed. Fortunately Pete, father of seven, is very laid back

Do you remember the post I did after our holiday in Devon? It feels ages ago but was actually May 20th. Last night I had an email from Merriol (correct spelling) I was so thrilled. Here it is

Dear PI - Helen tipped me off about your blog entry about your stay in Lew Quarry Cottage and I read it and I love it. I enjoy your writing enormously and look forward to reading more. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay despite the foul weather - I'm sorry about that. And I'm glad you found the quarry with the lake in it when you walked up the driveway to Helen's. It has an eerie quality I find immensely appealing. Laurie King drowned one of her characters in it in The Moor.

I love being mysterious! I've sent your blog entry on to our children who have probably underrated my mysteriousness up 'til now.

With all best wishes, Merriol (slightly different spelling but I like your spelling just as well)

Wasn’t that sporting of her? I wonder if any of you have read Laurie King’s ‘The Moor’. The lake had such a powerful atmosphere it certainly deserved to be in someone’s book.

My story continues on Monday Deo volente.

18 comments:

Z said...

I'm glad the lesson went so well. Ten hours of driving lessons will have been expensive, but worth it to know you weren't a hazard on the road to start with, and that you will be a better driver for the future.

Pat said...

Z: £150! If I get the result it will be worth every penny. It's mainly a case of confidence building. I could do with a session with Paul Mckenna.

Kim Ayres said...

I'm sure I remember hearing somewhere that 85% of drivers think they are better than average...

Pat said...

Kim: can't resist wondering which sex predominates.

Janet said...

My mother never drove; my dad gave her driving lessons, but she always said we kids made her nervous!

hi, Michele sent me :-)

Carli N. Wendell said...

I fell asleep during my first driving lesson. Behind the wheel. Oops.

Pat said...

Carli how awful! Had you taken a tranquiliser?

Anonymous said...

Well done you. If you drive half as well as you write you'll be fine.

FOUR DINNERS said...

Throttle down, stick back and....

Vrooooooooom

that's how the wife drives anyroad.

Pat said...

Sablonneuse: I'm certainly getting lots of encouragement. Tried to leave a comment yesterday and have lost the knack again.

4d: I don't like automatics either.

Travelin'Oma said...

We lived in York, England for a year, and I did a lot of driving all over the country. It is a total miracle I didn't kill anyone, or wipe out a bus as I drove through the hedgerows. I was driving on the wrong side of the road but there seemed to be only one side of the road! I'm glad the people there knew how to drive so they could avoid me!

Pat said...

Hi Marty1 driving down the Devon lanes is pretty tricky too:)

Anonymous said...

Best to you on the driving. Remember....watch out for the other guy!
Visiting from Michele's....

Pat said...

Thanks terri! I'll remember that:)

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

There's nothing like a laid back teacher to give a gal confidence. My first driving instructor was sour. Dour.

Good to see you getting back your courage, Pat vroooommm vroooom.....

Pat said...

GG: I'm already getting nervous about Wednesday's lesson in our car:(

Sam, Problem-Child-Bride said...

Ah, that's lovely that Merriol got in touch! So many interesting things can happen as a result of blogs these days. Way cool.

Pat said...

Sam: as you can imagine, I was tickled pink.