Saturday, December 22, 2012


Post script.

The phone rang in the evening and I thought I recognised the low, slow voice of my old friend Pat.  She was born three months after me – delivered by my midwife grand mother, so we were sort of sisters.  She was blonde, bonny and serene and when I visited my Gran we became playmates.

 
When I left home for nursing at 16 we lost touch.  Granddad died, Gran came to live with us and we never seemed to go in that direction.  Fast forward forty years and I got a phone cal from an advertising agency saying someone had seen an old ad of mine on TV, recognised me and wanted to get in touch.  They would give me the details and then it was up to me.

 
As Pat had married I didn’t recognise the name but curiosity won the day and I had a long puzzling conversation with her husband until the penny dropped.  It was a happy reunion; she still lived in the north and when we visited our cottage in Skipton we would get together and catch up.  Coincidentally her husband Jack was born and bred in the next street to my Grandfather in Cleator Moor.
In later years Pat and I would catch up with long telephone conversations.  She was very proud of her children and grand-children – none of whom I had met.

 
The voice on the phone was her daughter; she had seem my Christmas card, finally found my phone number and was telling me that her much loved mother passed away some time ago.  I realised I hadn’t heard since I sent her birthday card and wished I had phoned her.  Her daughter told me her father died in October – which was a blessed release, but her mother’s death had been a great shock and I really felt for her.

 
She asked me how we had known each other and was very interested in hearing about our childhood.  When Gran delivered Pat she asked her mother what they were going to call her and when they said Patricia, Gran – in her forthright way said;
“Oh no you can’t: my granddaughter is christened Patricia.”

 
It was a very emotional phone call but I am so glad she took the trouble and I hope it was of some comfort to her.  Her brother was living in Dubai and she said she would tell him of our conversation.  This has made me determined to phone all those old friends one thinks about phoning at Christmas and then doesn’t.

Requiem in pace dearest Patricia.

 

8 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Oh, My dear Pat...I'm so sorry to read of your loss. I know how hard it is to lose old and treasured friends---especially dear friends from Childhood. At our age, there aren't that many people left who one has such a long history with......My heart goes out to you, my dear. How meaningful to be able to share with Pat's daughter many things she had not known.
It is strange---just today I was thinking about calling old friends just to touch base once again, and I DID call one friend, but they weren't home. I know I will try again.
Sending you Hugs, my dear Pat.

Z said...

I'm so sorry, Pat. It's such a blow, losing an old friend.

Granny Annie said...

Yours was a gift in the call and hers was a gift in the call. How much she must have loved hearing your stories of her mother.

Pat said...

Naomi,Z and Grannie Annie thank you.xoxox

Anonymous said...

that was a hard call to make and receive but I'm glad you are in touch.
I have a sad story too. See my latest post (when I write it).

Pat said...

Roseneath: sorry to hear it. Will be over later.

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

That was so sweet of her daughter to call, even though it did bring such sad news.

Perhaps her calling you was her way of keeping her mother's memory alive.

Hug hug.

A blessed holiday to you and all the special people in your life.

LL Cool Joe said...

The loss of a friend is often as painful as the loss of a relative. I'm so sorry.