Sunday, December 30, 2012


Do your cockles need warming?

 

Mine did yesterday and the thought of drinking a cold white wine didn’t have its usual charm.  Then I remembered that in our gorgeous Christmas hamper there had been a small scarlet satin bag with the recipe for mulled wine and small muslin wrapped spice bags containing cinnamon, orange peel, allspice and cloves.  I remembered MTL used to make it – to his recipe and was inspired to give it a go.
 
Recipe

Bring half a litre of water and one spice bag to the boil and simmer for fifteen minutes.  Add one litre of red wine, half a litre of orange juice, one measure of brandy* and sugar to taste and gently heat to serving temperature stirring constantly (do not boil).
Serve with slices of orange or lemon.
 
*I couldn’t find any brandy – just some dubious cherry brandy so I made an executive decision to use port instead.
 
Conclusion

Both of us found it truly heart warming – cockles and all - and will enjoy every last drop.  However MTL thought perhaps the one he used to make was a little better because he used real cinnamon sticksJ

 

 

 

 

14 comments:

Macy said...

I've inherited a bottle of Cherry Brandy. Do you think the recipe would work if I inverted the measures???

rashbre said...

We had mulled wine on Christmas day - I think we use a Gluhwein approach and adapt according to what is around at the time.

I must admit it did include cinnamon sticks because I even had some bits of one floating in the mug.

Pat said...

Macy: frankly my dear - no:)

Rashbre: ahh - a man after MTL's heart:)

Granny Annie said...

Yum.............Sounds delicious.

Pat said...

Granny Annie: more at four:)

angryparsnip said...

Son tried mulling wine and last year the lovely smell was very enticing.
I don't drink (meds) so I didn't get to drink any only one tiny sip to get a taste.

cheers, parsnip

kenju said...

That sounds delightful! We have had mulled wine and also mulled cider and I like both.

Pat said...

Parsnip: that's a shame but at least you get the aroma.

Judy: mulled cider is new to me.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I bet The Port made it very very special...There is a delightful sweetness to Port that, to my mind, is preferable over almost anything else...lol!
Glad it turned out so well, my dear Pat!

mapstew said...

I haven't made mulled wine in years. We used to get lots of visitors on Christmas morning many moons ago, and I always had a big brew of the stuff on the hob to welcome everybody. The smell, pure Christmas. But people move, kids get older, the visitors start dwindling....

Happy new year to you Dear Pat, and Happy Hogmanay to YTL! :¬)

xxx

Mage said...

I'm still smiling at this.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

It's been known as Banjo in my household ever since someone misheard "vin chaud" ! A must when going around the Christmas markets here.

BTW Dip Dop is on Facebook - I've sent him a suggestion to friend you and various old blogging mates. His FB name is Dip Santon.

Pat said...

Naomi: that reminds me we have a jar of stilton to go with the port.
It's such a versatile drink as popular with the 'nobs' who pass it round the correct way at dinner and the 'gor blimey' cockmey lady who loved her port and lemon.

Map: the dwindling visitors I blame on TV - when folk are reluctant to leave their own fireside. It's gettting so there is no need to go out at all.
Happy New Year to you and Mrs Map and the girls.

Mage: that brightens my day:)

Pat said...

Daphne: somehow I recognised the name and also as Crabbers on my blog. Have friended him.
Happy New year.