Sunday, January 25, 2009

Out to Lunch

Aside
Saturday was sunny so I suggested to MTL we might like to go out to lunch and he agreed, with the proviso that we went somewhere different. Not wishing to appear bossy – like Ulrika - I let him decide and he chose The Dragon House which is between us and Williton. We had been years ago when the hotel was having problems and it somehow dropped off our radar.

It was built 300 years ago by smugglers from the proceeds of a shipwreck off Blue Anchor Bay, and over the years it has been an inn, a place of worship, a private house and now a country house hotel. I telephoned first to ensure we could get a bar lunch as opposed to a full blown restaurant meal and it was fine.

We got a warm welcome and the choice of two rooms so we had lunch in one and coffee in the other. We were pleased with our choices – a Thai dish for me with chicken, lemon grass, chillies, coconut milk and rice and what was basically the most glorious dish of fish and chips for MTL, In the interest of research I tasted both and I shall definitely have his choice next time, which could be for my birthday in March, when we could stay the night. Why not?

Would we care for desserts? Is the Pope catholic? We ordered a dark chocolate fondant with caramel ice cream and a chocolate vodka shot. Think about it
Also an iced parfait of nougat glace with raspberry compote. Both divine, then we waddled to the bar for coffee and stuff. What a good idea MTL!

20 comments:

Bobkat said...

Ooh, that sounds like a really tasty lunch and the rooms where you ate look so cosy on a cold day like yesterday and today!

Netchick sent me over again but I was happy to come :)

kenju said...

You are so lucky to live where such wonderful old places are available to you. It looks like a terrific place to while away an afternoon!

Unknown said...

Firstest!! Not like the Merrie Monk at all!

rashbre said...

When I first saw these in my RSS reader (without the text) I thought you were single handedly working through multiple desserts. Go!

Moon said...

What a lovely place! It looks so warm and cozy/inviting. What a history!! The food looks devine also, he choze well indeed! My bday is in march also, it gave me the idea of maybe doing something similar..get away for a weekend. Will have to put some thought into where to go now lol..

Pat said...

Bobkat: the ambience was great.

Judy: Just as well as we don't get far afield these days.

John.g: no but you wouldn't want to go as frequently to the Dragon House, too expensive for one thing, and you'd miss being locked in the loo:)

Pat said...

Rashbre: not quite. Mind you I had little appetite the rest of the day and I didn't have my evening chocolate.

Moon: i think that is an excellent idea - you both deserve it.

Anonymous said...

Sounds lovely

Pat said...

Sharon: your comment was in the archive. I have answered it both here and there.:-
Blogger PI said...

Sharon: found you at last! How great that you know that song - it brings back so many memories. The East end sounds about right because these children come from the poorest parts of Manchester. I'll bet your mother has some interesting tales to tell:)

8:41 AM

Ms Scarlet said...

I knew I shouldn't have come here!!! Sorry Pat, but your lunch posts make me drool... and now I'm going to be a piggy...
Sx

Pat said...

Scarlet : nothing as naughty as that chocolate vodka shot, I trust.

Pat said...

lom: looked good - tasted good and by golly...!

Zed said...

Deeevine .... Your choice of restaurants is really pretty good. Ever thought of starting up your own guide to the area? I would.

The Preacherman said...

Looks like a lovely place...despite the name ;-)

As it's 01:30 on a nightshift I've just had chips with chili and garlic mayonnaise dip....not quite the same eh? ;-)

Eryl Shields said...

I cannot think of anything more decadent than a chocolate vodka shot!
You are just so bad, Pat, so bad...

OldLady Of The Hills said...

This sounds like it was a fabulous lovely thing to do, my dear....And your descriptions make my mouth water...ESPECIALLY the :chocolate" Desserts! Yummmmmy! Lovely pictures to go with the descriptions, too!
I wish I lived closer and could still go out to Restaurants and tbings---I would join you on one of these lovely ourings, if you wouldn't mind....lol!

Kim Ayres said...

If we ever get round to meeting up, Pat, we'll have to do lunch. You know all the best places :)

Pat said...

Zed: Thank you - that's a thought to bear in mind when I next have time to spit:)

Manic: chips with mayonnaise - that's what the Belgian Gels rave about. One of these days I must try it.

Eryl: I'm not sure I've had vodka before but it's the only way to drink it. I know I'm bad but it's a bit late to change:)

Naomi: wouldn't that be nice? If only. And I would love to come to a girl's lunch which always look equally inviting.

Kim: that's a date:)

Nea said...

I'd settle for just the fish and chips, but the chocolatey vodka thingy on top...shlounds shluverly...sorry, the dribblings getting to me.

Pat said...

Nea:on top of the chips? Mayonnaise maybe but that's going a bit far.