Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Kids, Age and Sound Sense

Kids

There never was child so lovely but his mother was glad to get him asleep.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Adam and Eve had many advantages but the principal one was that they escaped teething.
Mark Twain

A sweet child is the sweetest thing in nature.

Charles Lamb

Life’s aspirations come in the guise of children.
Rabindranath Tagore.

Children are poor men’s riches.
English Proverb.

Age
First you forget names, then you forget faces, then you forget to pull your zipper up, then you forget to pull your zipper down.
Lee Rosenberg

It’s not that age brings childhood back again; age merely shows what children we remain.
Goethe Faust.

It isn’t how long you stick around but what you put over while you are here.

George Ade

In me, old age is always fifteen years older than I am.
Bernard Baruch

Sound Sense
It’s not how far you fall but how high you bounce.
Author unknown,

Achieving starts with believing
Author unknown

God could not be every where, so he made mothers.
Jewish proverb

Bliss in possession will not last; remembered joys are never past.
James Montgomery

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such brilliant quotes - I couldn't pick a favourite amongst them. Perhaps when I'm a mother number 1 will resonate the most.

Ms Scarlet said...

I'm a bouncer! Usually.
Sx

kenju said...

Bernard Baruch and I think alike!! I love that top one; so very true.

Kim Ayres said...

I like the one about "old" being 15 years older than me. However, I've found that whenever I meet someone I always assume they're within about 5 years of me. The entire population of the world is between 37 and 47...

tony said...

Wise Words & A Wise Blog.HELLO!

Unknown said...

'There's a criminallity about warm beer!'....Me!

Pat said...

Miss D: I think you could be right.

Scarlet: that's a good thing to be.

Pat said...

Judy: I agree - what Baruch says is a universal truth.

Kim: I like the sound of that

Tony: hi! so glad to have you visit:).

Pat said...

John.g : OK! I'll include you next time:)

Anonymous said...

Real old age is when you have to watch your tongue in case you tell the young the truth.

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

So here I was, this morning, thinking about what children mean to parents...what getting older means...I live amongst lots of older folks, there's a lot of humour there that younger folks don't have.

I wonder if I can come up with my own quotes.

Mark Twain is one of my favourites, he's caustic...witty...mischievous.

And I adore Tagore.

Pat said...

Anon: I'll have to think about that one.

Pat said...

GG: your own quotes - that would make a great post. Adore Tagore. That rhymmes:)