Monday, April 13, 2009

Third blog meet


First it was Granny P and her ‘Beloved’ a couple of years ago, then last summer Zinnia and Shayne – both rewarding and pleasant experiences, so three and half years on I should have felt quite blasé about another meeting, especially as I had come to know my cyber friend as a kind, gentle man -.but I’m always nervous about meeting someone for the first time.


Then there was the fact that they were making a long detour on a difficult journey from South Devon to Chesterfield, on a Bank Holiday, on our country roads with holiday traffic, parking problems and the high street given over to the Friday Continental Market, plus the relentless rain. But each phone call was calm and reassuring and by the final one when they were safely in the zone, the rain had stopped and I was minutes away. I relaxed and found myself smiling at the two figures outside Mr Micawber’s, the café / restaurant where we were to have coffee.
Micawber’s had been recommended by the girls but they warned it gets very busy and sometimes difficult to get a table. We climbed the stairs and there was an empty table for four. All potential problems disappeared.


Kim looks younger in the flesh and Rogan – his son is a nice looking boy with a smart spiky hair cut. We talked and drank and ate and talked and laughed, and you know that when elevenses merge into lunch you’re having a good time. Considering the magnificent cakes Rogan makes he was very kind about Micawber’s but that’s the sort of young man he is. Many of you know Kim already and I don’t need to tell you what a generous spirited person he is. To my surprise I found myself unloading a couple of personal demons on him and was touched by his understanding and wisdom.


By the time we walked to the car park I’ll swear the sun had come out. We took photos and I admired Kim’s camera which he won with the beautiful photo on his blog, a couple of posts ago. When they had left I found myself wandering round Minehead in a state of euphoria and MTL mentioned that he thought I would have been back earlier. So did I. By now they are safely back with Meg and Maggie and I’m so grateful that they took the time and trouble to stop by.

All bloggers mentioned are on my side-bar, and well worth a visit.

25 comments:

Barlinnie said...

I would have liked to have been a guest amongst those already present at the table.

Good for you hen.

Pat said...

Jimmy: you would have been very welcome:)

kenju said...

I am not familiar with them, but I'm glad it was such a good visit for you!

Kim Ayres said...

And thank you so much for taking the time to meet up - we had a wonderful time :)

Pat said...

Judy: something new for you to try.

Kim: Me too:)

Ms Scarlet said...

Kim looks younger in your pic! I'm pleased you had a lovely day.
Sx

Pat said...

Scarlet: he really does look younger. Maybe it's because he is often grimacing and larking in his blog photos.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a good time. One of the days, I'll cross the pond for a visit.

Cheers.

debra said...

How lovely for you that you got to meet each other! And the photo above is great!

Pat said...

Randal: don't forget:)

Debra: it was fun and I'm pleased with the photo. Car parks aren't the best backgrounds but Kim chose this and it works. Also the brickwork is typical of Somerset.

savannah said...

i loved the pic of the 2 of you on his blog and now, another surprise here! what a fantastic way to spend an afternoon! xoxox

David Edward said...

sounds like a great visit
Blogging makes our world better,
more friendly

Pat said...

Savannah: it was a fitting Good Friday:)

David: I'm very grateful my # 1 son started me off.

Sheri said...

Pat-you look absolutely gorgeous on Kim's blog. Glad he shared the pix.

problemchildbride said...

Kim! And Rogan! Oh cool, Pat! I'm jealous of you all getting to meet up like that. I'd have loved to be there and been able to meet you in the flesh.

Blogging is amazing.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

What a lovelt perfect meeting, Pat....Isn't the Internet and Blogging in particular a true gift?
I will have to go on over and pay each of them a visit!

Kanani said...

Now that sounds like a very very nice meeting. And isn't great how blogging has served has an initial calling card? I can't wait for the day I can save enough to come over there and make the rounds.

Queenie said...

So glad it went well. (Not in the least bit surprised, though.)

Pat said...

Sam: now you know how I feel about your get- togethers with Devin et al.

Kanani:it's a great institution. we are rather spread around though.

Queenie: one of these days ...

Pat said...

Naomi: I warn you Rogan's chocolate cake is pure wickedness:)

rashbre said...

Brilliant - great to have a meeting like that. I shall have to check out Kim's blog too!!

The Hangar Queen said...

Right! That does it. Next time I'm in the UK I shall descend upon you.

Just for pig iron I did a quick tally of my blogroll and was astonished to learn that I have met 29 of them!

Pat said...

Radhbre: you won't be disappointed.

Devin: there you go. I hope they were all good ones. See if you can get Sam to come too.

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

This weekend, I will try to visit their blog[s].

How could things not go well when lovely people meet?

Pat said...

Sheri: thank you;)

GG: would it were ever thus. I can't believe you don't know Kim.