Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Print and be Damned!

Aside

For a while now I have been unable to use my printer – Photo Smart - getting messages: the lid is open and there is no paper when it wasn’t and there was. Then the paper would get snarled up. When one of our techie sons couldn’t fix it I decided to cut my losses - ditch it and get a laser which should cope with tackling my wordy manuscript. Imagine my delight when I found amongst a load of bunff a three year insurance I had bought with the printer which was still valid.

After advice from techie son I decided to get an HP Laser 1005 particularly as it has a good sized paper shelf. I discovered the cartridges cost £50 to £60 and as I felt the original printer had been a duff one decided I should suggest they swap my printer for a laser and throw in a spare cartridge. At one time I had three very helpful assistants but it was all in Colin’s hands and Colin resolutely stayed out of shot. Mustn’t grumble; in the end I paid £30 which covered my laser printer – a spare cartridge AND a further three year's insurance. I felt quite pleased


Very slowly I have put it together and it works and is much simpler than the original, which did all sorts of stuff I didn’t need. 500 sheets of paper at half price from W H Smith and I’m good to go.

Tomorrow is girl’s day out and I’m driving. MTL suggested as the garden was looking nice, fountain flowing and forecast brilliant that I should invite the girls back for tea in the garden so I’ve been watering, moving pots, sweeping paths and washing furniture when I should have been cleaning the car. Great idea though darling!

12 comments:

Annie Wan said...

i love a great bargain too. it sounds like it was a crafty suggestion from YTL ...

Pat said...

Mei: but he did say I shouldn't be moving pots around. Maybe he just wants an excuse to eat cake?

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Is this for sending to publishers? I'm surprised if they still want hard copies, surely a disk would cost less to post? Laser printers are great for printing off photographs, on the right paper.

Kanani said...

Well done, Pat! A LaserJet will go through a toner but once a year. I've had one for ages --oh, well, actually this is my third. The others are in possession of other family members who needed printers!

Anonymous said...

Good job on negotiating. If you ever need a job working up lawsuits, give me a call.


Cheers.

Unknown said...

I have a HP 1200 PCS, it's great!

Pat said...

Naomi: 'From my mouth to God's ear...)'
I love that expression and shall use it if I may? We had a great day thank you of which more later:)

Daphne : I'm researching this at present. At first they seem to want a letter with maybe a couple of chapters and a disc later on but I'm scrabbling for info just now. One off my sons showed me how to put it one a little tube thingy. I still have serious editing to do and putting it into chapters.

Pat said...

Kanani: what is a toner? I'm really looking forward to using it.

Randall: I'll just clear up a few things this end and will be over there. I need six weeks paid holiday minimum:)

John.g: that sounds like a really serious printer.

Anonymous said...

Six weeks?

OK, fine. You've got to agree to make the coffee though.

Cheers.

Pat said...

Randall: you drive a hard bargain. Decaff OK?

Anonymous said...

Way to hustle, mama!

Pat said...

Sam: I'm learning.