Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Wednesday waffle

Aside

The film I mentioned in my last post about the love affair between a mother and son turns out to be ‘Le Souffle au Coeur (Murmur of the Heart.). I discovered it was made in 1971 so the timing is right. Here’s what epat from Tokyo said about it

This is one of my all-time favorite films.

Young Laurent Chevalier, his mother & his roguish elder brothers break every taboo known to small-town 1950s Dijon: underage drinking, underage sex, blasphemy, incest, petty theft, adultery, art forgery, whoremongering, drunk driving... What more can you ask? Malle treats their escapades with such lighthearted sympathy & wit you can't help liking them.

Before I first saw Soufflé au Coeur, I read a blurb for it in the monthly listings of my local repertory cinema that ran something like this (I quote from memory): "This film does a lot to restore the French to their former reputation for sophisticated naughtiness." I can't sum it up any better than that. ‘

The ‘collage’of Jesus I published earlier turns out to be rather different; the following from my step-daughter.

Technically it isn’t a collage. It involved tracing the outline from a sketch onto tissue paper which was bondawebbed to the fabric, then the whole thing tea-dyed. After that I did some embroidery with the sewing machine in free style mode, then later some hand embroidery and embellishment. I think I also used my fabric pens for some detail and shading. Basically it was a multi phased free embroidery incorporating various bits of techniques from my City and Guilds course

Tomorrow is ‘Girl’s Day Out’ a late treat for my birthday and Friday we have to go to Taunton and Bath on Saturday so will be back soon.

Meanwhile I have a problem; all my word documents have become bespattered with dots and various symbols which normally are invisible. It seems to go back to normal when I copy to Dashboard but it is distracting especially when I am working on the book. Any advice as to how I can remove it will be much appreciated.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

There should be an icon for hiding the codes along the top task bar. Somehow, you must have inadvertently clicked it.

Have fun with the girls.

Cheers.

Anonymous said...

Glad you discovered the name of the film. it sounds intriguing.
Sorry I can't help on the technical problem. Perhaps Keith would know?

Z said...

If, under 'word' in the top bar, you open 'preferences', then uncheck any boxes ticked in 'nonprinting characters', that may well do it.

Kim Ayres said...

If it's MS Word you're using, you might need to click the icon that looks a bit like an eleven with a line across the top and a blob on the left hand side. Damn it's hard to describe...

On my version it's sitting immediately to the left of the zoom bit (usually saying 100%).

IF you have MS Word and this makes no sense, email me and I send you a picture...

Anonymous said...

My homages,Pi

1953 "Le Blé en herbe"de Claude Autant-Lara
“The love incipient and the hard passage from childhood with adolescence” Thus Colette summarizes it Grass Corn .

From where contrast seizing with:

“I love you, your beautiful form charms me;
You do not agree, I will use of violence!
My father, my father, here it is who takes to me!
The king of the Alders, as it hurt me! … "
[Goethe]

Louis Malle: Lacombe, Lucien and Au-revoir les enfants.
Resulting from a middle-class family, Louis Malle grows surrounded by six brothers and sisters It enters to the college Jesuit…

This explains that !

kenju said...

Is that film in French with subtitles? Sounds good.

Enjoy your late birthday outing. I have no idea how to cure your computer problem.

savannah said...

enjoy the belated party, sugar! (techno doofus here, can't even begin to help)

Pat said...

Randall: you are so clever:)

Sablonneuse: all well now. I couldn't get on to Keith's site. My computer had been playing up today. Something to do with Firefox.

Z: thank you dear. I keep forgetting how computer savvy you are.

Kim: many thanks and I hope you got my e-mail.

Pat said...

Crabtree: thank you mon ami for that interesting information. It inspires me to do a little more research.

Judy: the problem is solved - thanks to my clever friends. The moral is don't press buttons that you don't understand - especially not late at night.

Krimo said...

I remember sneaking in to see that film (Version originale) at the age of 14 back in Algeria.
Enjoy you Girls Day Out!

Pat said...

Krimo: I wonder if it is still available. I feel I've missed something:)

Anonymous said...

Well, can't make a Souffle au Coeur without breaking hearts.

Pat said...

Savannah: thank you. The weather looks set fair.

Sam: that's your ration for the next month gone:)

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Dijon in the 1950s sounds like some parts of Britain today!

Eryl said...

I must see that film!

I'm so in awe of your stepdaughter: all those technical terms and she produced something so beautiful from them.

Have a lovely late birthday treat, I just love it when birthdays go on and I really do think the older one is the longer a birthday should last. Mine's not for a week and a half but I've already had several presents and a lunch!

Pat said...

Daphne: you're right! Thought it sounded familiar.

Eryl: I'm in awe of my step-daughter:) Today has been brilliant - more later but I feel Spring had sprung. I send you my early greetings before I forget. I think you must be Aries like my dear brother was.

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

I thought I saw machine embroidery!

Ha, Daphne thinks Dijon of the 50's sounds like some parts of Britain today. No, no, it's some parts of Guyana today.

Pat said...

GG: I realise that you know much more about this than most of us. Can machine emmbroidery do something hand sewing can't?

Anonymous said...

Hope you had a lovely day with the girls today, Pat!

Anonymous said...

i knew the tech answer but so did everyone else so you are sorted!
That film sounds intriguing - I want to see it!

Pat said...

Sam:it was one of the really good ones. Will post later.

Belle: I wonder if it's available on DVD. i really must get the habit.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I would call what your Step-Daughter did..."Mixed-Media"...I love that she used so very many varied things to create this...!
Very artistic and resourceful!

I must rent that film...It sounds like it is soooo Very Very French! LOL! Love That!

Pat said...

Naomi: I still call it a collage - but don't tell her:)