Tuesday, August 15, 2006

BRENDON VALLEY

BRENDON VALLEY

Sunday was cloudy and lowering so we nipped over the border in to Devon and dropped in to the secret valley of Brendon.  As we crossed Exmoor Wales was clearly visible across the Bristol Channel.  At the bottom of the hill in Brendon I examined the wall which hit my car when I was taking three ‘girls ‘out for the day.  It was some time ago now but it still bugs me.

Losing a hub cap and busting a tyre was bad luck but what really upset me was the fact that one of the girls had just had a new hip and I was afraid the jolt would have hurt her.  She of course is tough as old boots and the way they all clucked round me reassuring me, one would have thought that I was the sufferer.

However I noticed that the wall does jut out beyond the posts so there!  We groaned when we saw a notice proclaiming that today was Brendon Show Day. But were relieved when we saw a further notice in Brendon saying it was a further two miles.  The Stag Hunters and a little foray was our aim so all was well.

The food as usual was very good but the tarte citrone deserves a mention.  There were some odd figures around to raise money for the village hall. And the cottage gardens were very pretty.  On the far side of the river from the pub is a lovely riverside walk – the river a dashing turmoil around the ancient rocks.  I’m glad we managed to take Mum and Dad on that walk whilst they were still with us.  Today we just pottered round the village and marvelled how peaceful it was.  Maybe they were all at the Show.

The heather is starting to bloom although in the twenty years we have been here it has dwindled somewhat.  When the heather and gorse are out together Exmoor looks like a rather garish patchwork quilt.  But I love it.  Last night (Monday) on TV there was a presenter and Ranger looking for our desperately shy red deer and – through the know-how of the Ranger spotted a herd.  Then the Ranger’s mobile went off and so did the herd.  My heart bled for him – silly sausage!

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

So that's where Little Red Riding Hood is hiding...

Pat said...

Sim: her grandmother should have told her 'When in danger cross your legs!'

Dr Maroon said...

I do love that about women.

"...the wall that hit my car..."

Dr Maroon said...

Oh dear. I see my comment has gone for approval. I hope I wasn't hasty.

Pat said...

Hi Doc and welcome and well done for catching up. The wall did invade my space. I have comment approval to keep out nasties and so I don't miss any as mine tend to be scattered.

Shyha said...

Yeah :) Great humour :) 'the wall that hit my car' :) Love it :)

heather - yes, another must-see on my list. Of course, we have some here too, but it's not the same :)

Anonymous said...

That's it. Blame the immovable wall which has been there since what? Hadrian?

I know a lawyer if you need one.

Cheers.

Anonymous said...

Dr Maroon - inanimate objects always seem to leap out and hit my car/shopping trolley/bicycle. Other people's ankles seem to do the same thing. I know! I'm as astounded at this phenomenon as everybody else.

Pat said...

Thanks Sim: y'see - it's not just me! This post has been an open sesame for MTL to teli me all the things that went wrong with the car - my car - as a result and which he secretly had put right at great expense. This is why I don't drive the newer, better car.

Pat said...

Hi Shy: it wouldn't be the same because it's Polish . N'est ce pas?:)

Pat said...

Thanks Randall; but this time it didn't come to litigation although in my opinion the wall infringes its boundaries - if you see whatI mean.

FOUR DINNERS said...

Remember Jasper Carrots real insurance claims? 90% from women apparently.

"I hit a tree in my driveway that I don't have"

"The cyclist was all over the road. I had to swerve several times before I hit him"

"I saw a slow moving sad faced old gentleman as he bounced off the bonnet of my car"

Where you Jasper's inspiration?

apprentice said...

Sounds a lovely day. Heather out here too, must get up into the hills to see it.

There a wall like that round the corner fromme, these big SUVs push you right up against it. I've had the odd scratch as a result.

Anonymous said...

interesting - haven't seen this comment moderation before.
Need approval by all ??
How sad.

Pat said...

4d: you think i'm just a silly woman driver don't you? Many would agree with you:)

apprentice: it is rather sad that it is(the heather) getting rarer. Hope it is still profuse in bonny Scotland.

Mybananalife said...

how nice! I miss summer days in the country.

Pat said...

LoaB: poor love - don't you like to go to Norfolk alone? The doggies would love it.

Mybananalife said...

I can't drive.

Pat said...

LoaB: I do sympathise and there are too many of us on the roads but I have two thoughts - lessons could fill the lonely hours and 'National Express'( great record by Divine Comedy)

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Sue that wall!

Pat said...

GG: don't think it hasn't crossed my mind!

Shyha said...

If you were in US you would already sue this wall's/road's owner :)

Pat said...

Shyha: don't tempt me!