Sunday, November 25, 2012

Alice and Tom in New York


Alice and Tom in New York

Alice – a student at Florida University was to have met a friend in New York but when the friend was unable to make it her brother Tom – who works in London decided to keep her company.

 Last century when I was in Rhode Island I remembered the vituperation in a super market directed at a man with a pony tail and I asked Tom if he got any funny looks with his embryo moustache grown to support Movember, but he said there were much weirder sights to see.  They went up the Empire state building, went Black Friday shopping, walked the High Line, visited central Park and then walked the length of the High Line.
 
Central Park and The Empire State building I am familiar with but Google had to instruct me on Black Friday shopping and the High Line.  Traditionally Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving and the beginning of Christmas shopping and sales; so that’s their Christmas presents sorted.
 
The video below explains the High Line.  Tom was very impressed and thought something similar could be done to about a 1/3 of Birmingham UK; where he was at University.  I look forward to hearing from our man in New York – Unbearable Banishment.


 

10 comments:

Granny Annie said...

First of all I had to question your age since it has been a "century" since you visited Rhode Island. Second I had to look up the word "vituperation". Third, is the author of Unbearable Banishment a relative of yours? Loved researching the High Line in NYC. Had never heard of it before. Have never been to NY State much less to NYC. Great education this AM.

Pat said...

Granny Annie: it was 1970 when I was in R.I. so that is last century. I never make any secret of my age; I was born in March 1930 - I'll leave you to do the math:)
It is very laudable to look up words. UB is a blogging friend who introduced me to a marvellouw writer - Jane Gardham.
So glad you enjoyed the High Line - it was news to me too.

angryparsnip said...

I have never seen The High Line but blog friend Elizabeth in her "About New York" blog posts about it often. She has three blogs. One is "Buster's Blog" about life from her dogs point of view and The Square Ones follow him.

What a wonderful idea The High Line is. To take back a unused track and make it useful and beautiful park area.
I think this would work on any old unused train tracks in any major city.

cheers, parsnip

LL Cool Joe said...

I'd never heard of the High Line either. Interesting. I have heard all about Black Friday because of all the American blogs I follow and I've noticed that Amazon.co.uk are now promoting it too. Mind you it's much easier than walking around the shops. :D

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I had not heard of The High Line---it was after my time in NYC---till reading VAGABONDE (On my sidebar)...It is really an amazing place, isn't it?
Black Friday, I know---though I've never participated...
How nice that Tom & Alice spent some time in NYC.
The Empire State Building..Oh Yes! I went there many many times as a little girl, and my Brother-In-Law worked there after WW2.
Can't wait to see Tom's Mustache after November 30th!

Pat said...

Parsnip: its good when blogs can spread a good idea - and there is no limit.

Joey: rare to find something you haven't heard of:)

Naomi: it doesn't seem to have been all that well publicised. I must see if my BIL knows about it. He lives in Pleasantville.
We'll have to wait and see re Tom's moustache.

Gadjo Dilo said...

What a marvelous idea it is to use this High Line thing as a park - and I wasn't aware of it either when I stayed in NYC. We have something similar (prettier, though not as dramatic) in London.

Pat said...

Gadjo: thanks for that. what a great link. Am I right in thinking the main difference is the NY one is above ground?

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Is New York scary? I don't know why I think it is. Must be the tv shows. I hope Alice and Tom have tons of fun. Which reminds me...I must email you re: phone numbers and meetings!

In an oldish Reader's Digest, there was an article about one of those big places in California, taking a part of the city and turning into something special, with cafes and so on...no vehicles allowed. Yay for green places.



Pat said...

GG: I think most cities can be scary and one should know the no-go areas.
Sounds like Alice and Tom had a ball:)