Women talk sense – often
Not that I’m sexist or anything but I do believe women - on the whole - are blessed with common sense. Here are a few of my favourite examples and as it’s a gloomy Bank Holiday see if you can match the saying with the author.
A Imagination is the highest kite you can fly.
B You must do things you think you cannot do.
C You will do foolish things but do them with enthusiasm
rmal D Life begets life. Energy creates energy. It is by spending oneself that one becomes rich
E One is not born a woman, one becomes one.
F Look twice before you leap.
G Why not seize the pleasure at once? How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, foolish preparation?
H Courage is the price that Life exacts for granting peace.
I Reality is something you rise above.
J I don’t need a man to rectify my existence. The most profound relationship we’ll ever have is the one with ourselves.
K Love from one being to another can only be that two solitudes come nearer, recognise and protect and comfort each other.
L One of the oldest human needs is having someone to wonder where you are when you don’t come home at night.
M Children require guidance and sympathy far more than instruction.
N Age is something that doesn’t matter, unless you are a cheese
O When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I haven’t tried before.
P In passing, also, I would like to say that the first time Adam had a chance he laid the blame on woman.
Q A little of what you fancy does you good.
Now here are the authors but who wrote what?
1. Sarah Bernhardt (1844-1923) French actress
2. Anne Sullivan (1866-1936) American educator
3. Margaret Mead(1901-1978) American anthropologist
4. Eleanor Roosevelt (1884-1962) American stateswoman
5. Colette (1873-1954) French writer
6. Simone de Beauvoir (1908-1986) French writer and philosopher
7. Charlotte Bronte (1816-1855)
8. Jane Austen (1755-1817)
9. Amelia Earhart (1898-1937) American aviator
10. Lisa Minnelli b.1946 American actress
11. Billie Burke (1886-1970) American actress
12. Mae West (1892-1980) American actress
13. Nancy Astor (1879-1964) British politician
14. Shirley Maclaine b.1934 American actress and writer
15. Han Suyin b.1917 Chinese writer and physicisn
16. Marie Lloyd (1870-1922) English entertainer
17. Lauren Bacall b.1924 American actress.
That was fun! Do you have any favourite maxims?
Normal service will be resumed DV on Wednesday with ‘ A Bit of Boating’ Part 2