Saturday, December 24, 2011


Now where am I?

Don’t take any notice – I’m just talking to myself, checking I haven’t forgotten something.  I seem to have an extra day as I was convinced Christmas Day was Saturday and then thought I had all the time in the world.  It’s ridiculous really – just the two of us - what could it matter if it all goes pear-shaped?  Second wife syndrome?

The boned turkey looks quite harmless and the ham is safely boiled.  I’m trying out a new stuffing – mushrooms, shallots, bread crumbs, tarragon, marmalade and orange juice and I’m going to put port in the gravy.  Bacon on the breast and little sausages will give a bit of a kick, Vichy carrots – cooked with a bit of butter and sugar, a few sprouts and roasted parsnips which are already parboiled to be roasted with drizzles of honey.  Oh and as I can’t stuff the turkey I’m going to festoon it with orange and lemon slices.

I’m coming off the wagon for tomorrow at least - it's been a month - and let MTL choose the wine which I think will be champers.  We are not having a starter but we are having a delicious chocolate and cherry dessert.  We’ll have a light breakfast and then starve till one nanosecond after the Queen’s speech.  I hope Phillip recovers in time to be with the family.  I’ll bet he’s a terrible patient.

When I hear the carols in the morning I shall remember all those Christmases past and the absent ones and the ones still here but absent and I shall toast all my cyber friends – the ones who leave friendly messages and the ones who just lurk – I’ll be leaving a libation and a mince pie out just for you.

27 comments:

Ms Scarlet said...

*zips through on roller skates and nicks all the mince pies*
Have a lovely Christmas day, Pat... and be careful that first drink doesn't go straight to your head!
Sxxx

mapstew said...

Nollaig shona dhuit! :¬)

xxx

DUTA said...

The dishes mentioned in your post make my mouth watery. Lucky you didn't put any pictures of those yummy things!

Merry Christmas!

angryparsnip said...

Sounds Lovely and Thank You, I will have the Minced Pie !

Merii Kurisumasu !

Cheers, gayle

savannah said...

happy christmas, sugarplum! you are a joy! xoxoxoxox

Granny Annie said...

I will be happy to at least try the minced pie, though I have never tasted it in my life. Nice of you to think of us. We've celebrated with family in advance and it's a good thing because Ron has a UTI and we're stuck at home. Hope you both have a beautiful and blessed Christmas.

Pat said...

Scarlet: I'll sip it slowly:) You watch all those mince pies you've nicked!

Map: I must re4nmember that for next year:)

Duta: "Lucky you didn't put any pictures of those yummy things!"
Easier said than done:)

Parsnip: if only Scarlet hadn't nicked them all!

Savannah: I;ll take that happily.xoxoxox

Granny Annie: all best wishes to you and Ron and I hope it clears up quickly.

LL Cool Joe said...

I'm on the champagne right now!

Have a wonderful Christmas Pat!! Enjoy every moment!

Pat said...

Joey: thanks and cheers - love to the sweet reindeer.

Marion said...

Merry Christmas, Pat!

debra said...

My English mother-in-law made wee mince pies, and strudel and cookies and little fruit cakes that I never did acquire the taste for. Blessings all, these memories are.
Wishing you and yours love and joy, Pat.

The Cloudcutter said...

Merry Christmas to you and yours, dear Pat.

kenju said...

Pat, I am sure your dinner will be superb! Merry Christmas to all!

Unknown said...

A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS to you both! xxx

Kevin Musgrove said...

Yay! I hope you've had a good one Pat.

Mage said...

And a lovely merry Christmas to you also. Hugs from here.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I was thinking the same thing Pat---that Saturday was Christmas Day---Not sure why, but there we are!
Your description of all the goodies you prepared sounds very scrunptious! I hope it was gobbled up and enjoyed to the "fullest"....(lol)
Hope you had a lovely Christmas Day, my dear Pat.

Pat said...

Marion: Happy Bixenbox and a great 2012:)

Debra: I loathed mince pies with a passion until watching MTL tucking in to one smothered in cream I gave it a go and have enjoyed one each day over Christmas. But it is one temptation I am happy to forgo now.

CC: thank you - your Christmas food sounded wonderful. Namaste.

Judy: it really was but I haven't worked so hard for a long while.

John : hope yours went well. Should we really be having a threesome? At Scrabble I mean.

Kevin: thank you and i hope yours was great.

Mage: thank you - much appreciated:)

Naomi: It went very well but it may well be my swan song as far as turkey with all the trimmings is concerned. At least I burnt tons of calories. And we can relax and enjoy the left overs.

Z said...

Sounds delicious, Pat. Glad it went well.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the menu ex post facto. I hope you had a wonderful holiday.

Cheers.

Pat said...

Z: yes - the gods were smiling - I even carved!

Randall: I hope you didn't get post facto indigestion. And I hope yours was a happy one.

Macy said...

What happened to my comment!!! Eaten by blogger during its own festivities methinks!
Hope you had a great day Pat!

Pat said...

Macy: sometimes they get stuck on Dashboard. I'll have a look.
I hope all went well.

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

You paint such a cosy picture, Pat! I hope you had a great day. Is it a holiday there today, Tuesday too? It is here.

Pat said...

GG: it was cosy and we both enjoyed it. Great to see MTL with his appetite renewed.
Monday was Boxing Day - a Bank holiday and I think it is Tuesday today which is also a Bank Holiday. Yes it is Tuesday:)

Pearl said...

I spent most of this holiday affirming and reaffirming which day, exactly, Christmas was.

Confused by a major holiday. *shakes head sadly* At least I'm in good company! :-)

Happy New Year!

Pearl

Pat said...

Pearl: that's comforting:)
All the best for 2012.