Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Monday Monday!

Two tips: do you remember last year when my grand-son fell from a rock into the sea just below Hunter’s Moon and learned the lesson: always get Grandma to look after your iphone when mucking about. Sticking it on the Aga was not the answer. Too late now for Tom but had he encased it in rice, all the moisture would have been absorbed. So I am reliable informed.

Secondly, if like me you enjoy boiled egg and soldiers, salt the toast NOT the egg or you’ll be salting fruitlessly all lunch time.

Yesterday I visited our new hospital. It has the look of a thirties Odeon. It was deluging so no photo. I only saw the large reception hall, the x-ray department and the Physio upstairs. The staff are still finding their way around but seem pleased with their new surroundings. Sadly it’s now just too far to walk – close to the super markets.

After having my neck x- rayed (seems that is the problem and the shoulder is just a spin-off) I ignored the lift and found the Physio. There is a high security element so you don’t walk in anywhere without identifying yourself. No waiting around apart from our being quite early – as usual. I met the therapist who was a New Zealander who I took to and happily answered her questions about pain levels and general life style. She was helpful, reassuring and when she offered to give me a treatment I gratefully accepted. Lying face down I felt every part of my upper body having a thorough going over and felt so light headed I was laughing out loud at times. She found a knot in my right scapula which clicked every time she massaged it and was the trigger point.

She told me she was just about to leave for her home land till mid March and would I like another therapist to continue. She gave me confidence and hope that the problem could be eliminated so I decide to wait for her return. Meanwhile I have anti –inflammatory tabs and tabs to combat any resulting indigestion, neck exercises, trunk exercises and the tip that any warm applications are good.

Now I can enjoy our French family – five in all – who arrive this afternoon and prove to the middle grand child that I am not dead yet. Forgive me if I’m not around – it’s going to be busy.

PS: sorry folks - just realised that it's Tuesday Tuesday. Time flies when you're having fun.


28 comments:

Z said...

A diagnosis feels like the battle is half won, doesn't it? And so good to find someone you like and trust. Have a lovely time with the family xx

Pat said...

Z: yes you're absolutely right. It seems if one can get one's head round a problem you're half way there.

The Unbearable Banishment said...

Well, there's nothing like finding a proper trigger point and having a few tabs on a Tuesday (which feels like a Monday because of your post and my not working yesterday because of a major U.S. holiday). Good luck with the company.

mapstew said...

Hope the physio & tabs work Pat. Enjoy La famille! :¬)

xxx

Ponita in Real Life said...

A pinched nerve then, is it? Well, better that than what I've got. (I go see the doc again today.) Massage and physio and tabs can do a lot more for you than they did for me (which was nothing). Hope it all gets smoothed out for you. And yes, do enjoy your family! Any new concoctions on the menu this time??

Kim Ayres said...

Glad the physio is having an effect.

Hope you enjoy le French Family being there and stress levels are kept to a minimum :)

angryparsnip said...

I so agree about finding out a diagnosis, you feel like you now can work directly on the problem.

Sounds like you will be having a wonderful time with your French Family.
I can't wait to hear more about the adventures of the phone.

Thank You for the idea with the name !

cheers, parsnip

Ms Scarlet said...

I like the idea of a hospital looking like a thirties odeon!

Keep well, Pat and have a happy time with your family.
Sx

Pat said...

UB: oh dear have I confused you? Tee hee!

Mapstew: thank you - it should be fun. If all else fails the children find my French hysterically funny.

Pat said...

Ponita : she didn't say so in so many words but that's what it feels like. Good luck with yours. It must be very difficult with your job. At least - in theory - I can languish on a sofa when necessary.

Kim: that reminds me I must take a couple of Quiet Life right now.

Parsnip: I must pop over and see which name you have decided on. I blame you for my mixing the days - I'd just been over to yours:)

Pat said...

Scarlet: and of course it's spotless. Now.

AndrewM said...

Hope your physio isn't from Christchurch!

Pat said...

AndrewM: same thought entered my mind but she said she was in the north - the first place to see the sun rise. Must look at a map. My old friend Jenny lives in Wellington

Jimmy said...

" It seems if one can get one's head round a problem you're half way there."

What a wise woman you are doll. Beauty and brains, a rare combo.

Unknown said...

Knowing what the problem is is more than half the battle. And having family staying will keep your mind off the problem to a large extent I hope. Have fun (I'm sure you will).
Warm regards, Mike and Ann.

Kevin Musgrove said...

A massage and someone playing on a Mighty Wurlitzer? Sheerest heaven...

Pat said...

Jimmy: that's why I missed you so much.

Mike and Ann: I have a great example to follow very close by. And you are right - no paracetimol today:)

Kevin: well I had to make do with a New Zealand accent but it was pretty sublime.

lom said...

Massage is good too. I walked around for years not being able to turn my head to the left, after a doctor told me there was nothing that could be done, learn to live with it. I was given a gift token for a massage as a birthday present, when I went in she asked if I had any problems and I said no, (because I had learned to live with my neck and didn’t think of it has a problem anymore). As she knead my back, she remarked ‘are you sure you don’t have a problem’ Then the penny dropped and I told her about my neck and what I had been told. She told me she had found a knot and could put it right in a few sessions, and she did. It’s the best money I have ever spent.


Have a great time with your family


Ooh that was a long one. heehee

Pat said...

LOM: that's great to hear- thank goodness you went. It's certainly made a difference here I'm happy to say.

Granny Annie said...

Enjoy your family and be well.

Anonymous said...

The spine tends to be responsible for a lot of symptoms in other areas. Neck stuff leads to shoulder and arm pain; low back goes into the legs. I only know this from years of defending BS car wreck spinal claims.

Cheers.

kenju said...

I'm glad they found your trigger point and sorry that you have it!

Pat said...

Granny Annie: thank you:)

Randall: no car wrecks for me but scraping and jamming in chimneys in rock climbing days and falling from tall horses in a brief riding phase prabably didn't help - but all is presently relieved thank goodness.

Pat said...

Judy: much better now thank you:)

sablonneuse said...

A good physio is worth his/her weight in gold. So pleased the treatment was helpful and you are now feeling full of energy to enjoy your time with the family.

Pat said...

Sandy: yes I am so thankful- even tho' the washer is playing up.

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

A hospital person who cares, who makes you KNOW she cares...nothing to make a body feel halfway better. And you got a good massage too. Pat, you seem to have a good angel always with you :-)

Hey, Jimmy is back!

Pat said...

GG: I eagerly await her return form New Zealand:)