Friday, February 11, 2011

Jack Evans Barnes 1932 - 1999

Some time ago I donated a cup, as an English Literature prize to my old school BRGS , in memory of my brother. Yesterday I received a sweet thank you card, forwarded by the school.

Dear Mr Barnes,
Just to say a large thank-you for the cup for English GCSE!
I really enjoy english, and take english Literature at A-level so to be awarded the cup was for me a great honour.
After the completion of my A-levels I hope to study medicine at university and to be able to have shown I have achieved a mark of excellence in a subject will hopefully help me to win a place and allow me to follow my dreams.
Thank you once again!
Yours,
Charlotte Bradbury
BRGS
X

Jack would be tickled pink!

Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

kenju said...

He was cute, Pat, and it was nice of you to donate that cup. I hope the letter writer realizes her dreams.

Queenie said...

How very lovely.

Anonymous said...

It's nice some young people still remember thank-you notes.

Cheers.

Pat said...

Judy,Queenie and Randall: I was quite touched and the last sentence elicited a small tear.

angryparsnip said...

awwwwww, what a lovely post.
and I too had a tear at the end.

cheers, parsnip

The Unbearable Banishment said...

What a fantastic honor! (Honour?) I might steal that idea one day. Do you mind?

Eryl said...

Tears here, too.

Sharon Longworth said...

That's just so right in every way.

Z said...

That is lovely, bless her. And yes, I've wiped my eyes too.

Pat said...

Sharon: thank you:)

Z: I'm just a little ray of sunshine;)

OldLady Of The Hills said...

How wonderful in every way, Pat...Lovely of you to do snd sweet that she won....Your Brother was a Handsome devil....!

If you get a chance, do come by...I have posted about the interesting person at the Pacific Design Center.

Incidentally, there is some kind of problem getting in my way of doing whjat you so kindly suggested for my blog...I need to contact my Blog Designer to see if she can straighten it out...

Pat said...

Naomi: I'll be round soon - after breakfast.
I hope you can get the Follower thing - it would be so nice to know immediately you have done a post.
I don't know about Jack being handsome but he had the sweetest personality and had much to bear, when young, from his two older sisters.

Granny Annie said...

That was an outstanding way to memorialize your brother. You are a loving sister.

To receive such a nice thank you means the person receiving the cup was probably very deserving.