Saturday, December 30, 2006

CHRISTMAS 2006

CHRISTMAS 2006
Aside.

“Where’s Granny P?
Startled I turned round to scan the throng in the scarlet carpeted church.  Granny P is a blogging friend and, to the best of my knowledge, in Spain with her Beloved.  Funny to think that she could be sitting next to me and I wouldn’t recognise her.  Beloved did do a sketch of her but it was topless and no-one in sight is remotely topless – far from it - as the beautifully decked church is heatless.

It was Christmas Eve and we had brought the children to the Christingle Service.  There were a few hiccups – the organist’s light wasn’t working so the tunes were a bit off key and a jolly man in a suit said the lady who should have taken the service was quite ill.  He lives in the house next door so was filling in and he asked all the children to come to the front, round the crib.

I was glad we had been early and had a good view of the children and the crib.  A two ft high, blonde minx evaded he mother’s grasp and was causing mayhem.  Another mother came out front to read from Luke, her docile little daughter holding her hand until the two ft BM spotted her and proceeded to bait her.  Docility disappeared – a struggle ensued and Luke was quickly terminated.

Back came the jocular vicar (did you guess the house next door was the vicarage?) disguised as a Bethlehem paparazzi.  He confused us all by taking photos of the kings and shepherds who were imaginary beings in the congregation.  It seemed Mary and Joseph weren’t photogenic enough so they were dismissed in favour of the kings with presents illustrating (I think) how we have lost sight of the true meaning of Christmas.

The children were asked what was missing from the crib scene and of course it was baby Jesus – because tomorrow was his birthday and if we wanted to see him we would have to be here at 9.30am.  We sang carols, prayed and then it was time for what all the children had been waiting for.  We didn’t do this when I was a child so forgive me if I get it wrong; the orange represents the world and the scarlet ribbon tied round it is the blood of Christ.  The four sweeties stuck on orange sticks represent the four corners of the earth; north , south , east and west and the candle on top is the light of Jesus’ love shining through out the world.

Health and Safety this year had decreed that the candles should not be lit until they had reached the church door.  In fact this proved more hazardous and my daughter in law narrowly stopped my coat from singeing,

Sad news on Christmas Day that James Brown had died.  RIP James and thanks for the memory.
Our youngest boy – aged six – is still a believer so we had left milk and a mince pie for Santa and a carrot for Rudolph – all demolished.  We opened our stockings in our dressing gowns and watched Flash the cat go manic with his toy mouse and then the wrapping paper.  By the time we all met up again we were dressed up to the nines and whilst the adults drank champagne the children eyed the presents under the tree.

Eor years I have agonised about the ‘haves’ and ‘have nots’ – never more cruelly apparent than at Christmas.  I have had Christmases  that were stressed and unhappy and Christmases where I have worked hard in hospital and been joyous, and now I have learnt to be thankful for good fortune while it lasts and not waste it by fretting about the troubles of the world unless I can do something about it.

Lunch was my favourite – ham and turkey with every possible accoutrement and as we were all feeling a little full we decided to repair to the other room to watch Her Maj before pud.  Tradition is never more important than at Christmas.  How times change: she never said how pride (proud) she was but did let an orphan (often) sneak in.  I was surprised she didn’t mention our forces abroad but she had recorded a special message for them.  Maybe she was feeling like the DT correspondent whose dilemma was how to ’show richly deserved support for our troops without at the same time appearing to support Tony Blair’s grossly mistaken involvement with Iraq?’

A few tears shed, listening to the Carols from Kings Cambridge and one thought of distant loved ones, loved ones who have passed on and people all over the world.  I relished ‘The Vicar of Dibley’  ‘Driving Lessons’ and the wonderful original ‘Thirty Nine Steps’ with Robert Donat and Madeleine Carroll- surely the first of Hitchcock’s blondes?  You could almost see the old rascal salivating as he had her remove her silk stockings and then later replace them.  It was so nostalgic for MTL and me what with the Harris Tweed jackets reeking of sweat and tobacco smoke.  Oddly it made me think of the young Doccie Maroon.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a nice time, and that your coat didn't go up in flames. Once when I was a child in Sunday school, we had cupcakes for a birthday girl, lighted candle and all. Of course, we closed our eyes and bowed our heads to pray.

When grace was concluded, we looked up to see the birthday girl's hair on fire.

No harm done, but there were some interesting explanations from the Sunday school teachers to the parents at the end of class.

I wish you a Happy New Year and look forward to more stories. So don't drink too much tomorrow night.

Cheers.

Pat said...

Randall: sometimes I think Health and Safety have a point. A Happy New Year to you and yours and I promise not to drink moe than half a bottle of champagne - approx!

Dr Maroon said...

I’m glad your Christmas went well, never doubted that it wouldn’t as your magazine covers testify. The magazine covers are great. You never said you were the thinking man’s Nigella. That affair with the orange and the ribbon was on the Archers last week and that’s the first I’d heard of it. I bet it went right over the kids’ heads:

“Now then Pansy, what did the Three Wise Men bring the baby Jesus?”
“Was it gold, Frankenstein and a Terry’s chocolate orange?”

Have a super Hogmanay and fabulous New Year.

Now, whaur’s me peaty, damp, smokey, jaikit? I’ve some first-footin’ to do…

“A guid new year to ane an' a'
An' mony may ye see…”

Dr Maroon said...

Oh, and I came over on Christmas Eve to leave my e-greetings, but you had gone by then, so I resolved to return tomorrow, but I saw the lights on so I chanced it tonight.
I did work out that fourpence ha’penny was 1.87 something pence in new money! Doesn’t bear thinking about.

Pat said...

Doc: now be honest! Did you use a calculator? Don't be fooled by the lights - they come on even when we aren't here, but we are and snugly (not smugly)enjoying being home again

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Your Christmas sounds wonderful and warm and full of family and love. That little Santa believer is cute.

Someone told me James Brown said, "When you hate, you can't communicate." So very true.

Pat said...

GG: I think this will be his last year as a believer but guess what my son no 2 became a step-grandfather yesterday so we have a new baby in the family and I guess I am a step great grandma. My son has sent me a photo by e-mail which is so big I can't see it- if you see what I mean. I must phone him tomorrow and see how to render her down.

Shammickite said...

What a lovely Christmas story with all your family at church. I had all my family together too.... small famnily, just 2 sons and their "significant others" and my own honey, small gathering but very high quality!
Happy New Year, may 2007 be healthy and happy for you!

Pat said...

Hi Ex Sham and welcome. Thank you for your kind words and a happy healthy 2007 to you and your family.

Mybananalife said...

Have a safe and Happy New Year!!! Don't drink too much!!!

Pat said...

Thanks Banana - and also to you and yours. Hope Norfolk wasn't too flat - that's why it gets so cold - no hills to shelter you. I probaboy won't drink too much. Have just been watching 'The Hours' and that's a real downer! Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately Banana's advice came a little too late for me, so whilst I am still able to type, may your good self, YTL and family have a happy and wonderous 2007

X X X X

Pat said...

Very sweet of you Sim and the same to you, Girlpants et al.

Nea said...

"Eor years I have agonised about the ‘haves’ and ‘have nots’"
That sounds rather typical for Eor...
Happy New Year to you and yours.
Always enjoy coming here for a browse.

Pat said...

Hi nea: so much for spell check and my own impeccable editing. And a Happy New Year to you and yours who I have just met on your blog.