Friday, April 15, 2011

Six Months Hard

He was wearing the most beautiful pink tie and I was not surprised to hear he had bought it on the Pont de Vecchio in Florence. He had been on holiday with his wife who was pregnant and they wondered how they would be able to have holidays like this with a little one. Now they had they a little one they couldn’t envisage a holiday without her.

Our surgeon had all the results on his desk and they were all clear. What now we wondered? Apparently the government, in their wisdom, say not to bother with follow ups after the age of eighty. I remembered being miffed that women don’t have mammograms and smear tests offered after the age of seventy. Not that the government or ageist or anything.

What, I wondered, was the usual result after the treatment we have had? The stats are 40% remain completely clear. Follow ups would involve four monthly blood tests and annual scans so it seemed to me a no-brainer. Obviously the sooner anything is detected the sooner it is nipped in the bud.

I believe in France anyone over the age of fifty has their stools checked every two years to detect any signs of bowel cancer. Seems a good plan to me.

So the last chemo pill is taken today DV, and we can start thinking about a break in a cottage. Actually I have thought of little else this last week or so and have found a beauty, in a spot we know and like. There is only one week free in the period suitable for us so time is of the essence.

26 comments:

lom said...

I am so happy for you both, enjoy your holiday
xx

Pat said...

Lom: thanks:) I'm just waiting for MTL to make up his mind.

The Cloudcutter said...

Yay! It's packing time for the two of you now. I hope you manage to book the beauty that you have your eyes on. I'll sit and wait eagerly for the pictures!

The Unbearable Banishment said...

Pop a cork and pack your bags. Please don't forget to bring along a camera. And don't go someplace that's so remote that there's no internet access.

savannah said...

whew! whatever y'all decide and wherever y'all go, have a hot damn time! there's nothing better than hearing all clear! xoxoxoxo

Queenie said...

Such good news. Enjoy your break, you've more than earned it xxx

Anonymous said...

I'm glad YTL is (almost) over the chemo hurdles. Enjoy your time off but do take lots of photos!

Cheers.

Pat said...

CC,UB,Savannah,Queenie and Randall;
thank you all. After a discussion with MTL I decide to leave booking the cottage until I had given it more thought - it is quite expensive. After lunch I fell asleep, the phone rang and it was the hirers of the cottage - I must have left my number.
After checking there was easy parking on the property and although three pets were allowed it didn't have a doggy smell, I booked it, a week from June 4th. Nobody more surprised than me:)

sablonneuse said...

Sorry I haven't been around for a time but I'm so pleased to hear your news and hope you both have a super break wherever you decide to go. xx

Pearl said...

Holiday! How nice. Take pictures, please!

Pearl

Pat said...

Sandy: I know you've been busy and thank you/

Pearl: I certainly shall and hopefully Picasa will be plying ball by then.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Such good news, my dear...! AND, a Cottage Visit in your near future...What could be better?

It is strange the rules and regs. that the Government has about who is eligible for what, and at what age?? It certainly sounds like discrimination on two levels to me---Age and Gender!

Jimmy said...

I'm genuinly pleased doll, my regards to your man.

Kim Ayres said...

Talk about a much needed holiday! Glad you booked - now you can just look forward and enjoy :)

Pat said...

Naomi: discrimination on three levels I think - age, gender and finances - the poorly off have to accept it and the better off can choose to pay for it. It is nice to have something to look forward to.

Jimmy: thank you - Ill pass then on;)

Pat said...

Kim: there's a lot to be said for doing things when you are half asleep;)

Granny Annie said...

Congratulations on reaching a resting point. We're just getting started and I'm already planning our holiday in five weeks:)

Pat said...

Granny Annie: I'll keep my fingers crossed for you:)

debra said...

So glad for the clear report, dear Pat! May the holiday commence!!

Pat said...

Debra: thank you:) I have to be patient a while longer - till June.

Eryl said...

Squeak! So, so happy for you both.

They check your stools here too: I just got my first test pack in the post. It has alarming little sticks and instructions I have yet to bring myself to read.

June will be here in a shake, X

Pat said...

Eryl: not the first time I've been impressed with health treatment north of the border. We could learn something.
I couldn't visit you yesterday - was off-line most of the day - involuntarily.

mapstew said...

Many 'smiley faces' to you & himself! :¬) :¬) :¬) :¬)

Always nice to have a holiday to look forward to! (We're off to Lanzarote on 2nd May!) :¬)

xxx

Pat said...

Mapstew: thank you. Have a great time.
Give my love to the camels.

Pearl said...

Popped by again just to let you know that, yes, my sister Karen is a scream. :-) Not only is she quite funny but she's also head-turningly beautiful.

Pearl

Pat said...

Pearl: my comment disappeared. Bleedin' sauce in my blog!
So beauty runs in the family too?