Thursday, August 28, 2008

Finalmente!

I love it in the opera Tosca, when the wicked Scarpia proclaims 'Finalmente!' just before he has his wicked way with her - but Tosca knifes him in the gizzard, spitting venom at him. Marvellous! Anyway finalmente, the Coleridge Way is finished. At last! And thank you to the sons, DILs and grand children who have kept me company. The last bit between Wheddons Cross and Porlock we did backwards, to avoid the steep, rocky downhills on my damaged tootsies. On steep rocky up hills I'm OK. Following the map backwards can get tricky but my suggestion that # 1 son should stand on his head was dismissed as a silly idea. The nice ladies in th Visitor Centre assured me I would still get a certificate - in spite of the unorthodox way of completing the walk.
And you want me to believe that Coleridge et al did this walk of an evening? I don't think so.
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

kenju said...

What a charming area - as is all of England - judging from your photos!!

Blogger was being a bear, huh? Happens to me too, Pat, so don't despair.

Pat said...

Judy: it is frustrating but what can you do? Grin and bear it:) Pardon the pun.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

This is such a picturesque area, Pat...It is really BEAUTIFUL, in every way. The bit of woods remindeed me of a place near where I grew up...it was all paths and lush greenery and big tall tress that shaded everything---I haven't thought of that place in years and years! Your pictures evoked all of those memories, dear Pat.

You all have such a great time as a family...I think it is wonderful!

Love your reference to Tosca....(I love that Opera...)

I also loved seeing the names carved into the wood above the door of the Inn....commemorating a tryst I guess! One said "illicit west", I think....lol!

Anonymous said...

It still made interesting reading - right order or not. I love Tosca too, but it's years since I went to an opera.

Pat said...

Naomi: thanks for pointing out the nanes on the wood in the pub. The illicit West... I expect it has had its share of naughty weekends:)
I had the record of Tosca from a young girl. My Dad bought the complete opera from a farmer for 10 shillings - about 50 P and gave it to me. It was in Italian so I had to guess the story but the Scarpia bit was unmistakeable.

Pat said...

Sandy: I have only seen it on TV - with Maria Callas - who was born to play Tosca. 'Morte' she spits out - 'Morte!' although it sounds like Moret

Anonymous said...

Well done on completing the Coleridge Way, Pat! I've enjoyed the photos but I wish I could have had the fresh air of it.

Pat said...

Sam: maybe - one of these days...