Saturday, November 09, 2013

Drat!


Drat!

The one day – for ages - that I was not totally respectable by 8.30am my handyman calls catching me in a dressing gown – and surprise surprise it was still raining.  I did get up at 7.45am but then had a lazy breakfast and, on an impulse, started defrosting the one fridge that still has to be defrosted.

 
He examined the relevant part of the roof after his cuppa and pronounced it tile perfect - it’s just that when wind and rain are so relentless and coming in horizontally rain gets in.  Whilst he was here he removed detritus from the back porch roof and once I was respectable again asked if I was pleased with Alastair’s office since he decorated it.  I showed him the finished result and he couldn’t have been more pleased.  He has seen its many faces over the years.
 

Now we wait for a dry spell to finish off the garage roof and he has promised to drop a bill in soon - something he is always slow to do.

 
Somewhat weary of household problems I’m going to give myself a treat on Monday night – stay up a little later and watch BBC4 10pm - 11.25pm Folie a Deux. 

 

It is a documentary tracing the efforts of a couple to convert a historic mansion in York into a luxury hotel.

 Yes I know it sounds a little déjà vu and it isn’t just schadenfreude.  Having seen Helen Heraty on Breakfast TV I’m sure if anyone can overcome insurmountable difficulties she can and it is said to end on a note of poignant positivity.

As it says in the blurb:

This confirms that great British eccentrics continue to thrive, but you wouldn’t necessarily want to live next door to them
 
See photo below.

 

 

25 comments:

Rog said...

Folie a Deux déjà vue schadenfreude?

Tres Bon Pat!

Ps why don't you Betamax the programme and have an early night so you won't get caught next morning with dressing gown and crafty woodbine...

kenju said...

I am happy to know that your roof is intact, even if it cannot withstand sideways blowing rain. Hopefully, you will not have those often.

Unknown said...

My dear woman, respectability is surely your middle name? Unblemished you are, unblemished you will always remain. A true English rose.

I won't mention that one time in your 20s with the ginger boy from the butchers, eh? Better left unsaid...

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Oh yes, that sideways rain!

I'm smiling at you not being 'respectable' at 8:30 am. Chef is so naughty :-)

As for eccentric people, I have no idea why, but I do enjoy being around them.

LL Cool Joe said...

I can't bare having workman in the house. Even nice ones. We need major work done our roof, well the house is 100 years old and some of the tiles are still original.

Enjoy Monday night!

Exile on Pain Street said...

Do you ever give a thought to giving up the house? Just wondering.

Ms Scarlet said...

I look forward to the post concerning the ginger boy from the butchers.
Sx

Unknown said...

Glad all's well with the roof. He sounds like a handyman we would all like to have living near us.

Pat said...

Rog: it was bit O.T.T. wasn't it?
When I used the family room I knew how to use the recorder but now I'm living in the drawing room - pro tem - and until my grand-daughter comes at the end if the month I can't get this recorder to work.
I don't want to change things over
- something always goes wrong.
Woodbines? Cheeky monkey!

Judy: I shall keep a weather eye on things:)

Chef: Ralph wasn't ginger he was sandy and he was the butcher's son and I was in my teens. And who told you?

GG: you are right - Chef is very naughty.

Joey: we also have found it a trial having anyone working in the house but Mick has become part of the family and I can't afford to let things slide in this Forth Bridge of a house.

Exile: so many people have asked me that since Alastair died.
It's not just a house - it's our home and since '85 all members of our large extended family have spent happy times here with us . Many now gone.
If I lose my good health I'll have to consider it but otherwise - as my Dad used to say I'll only leave it feet first.

Scarlet: see my note to Chef.

Mike and Ann: I just wish he lived closer. He lives in Wheddon Cross which is quite a drive with a steep drop on one side and some time ago he went over. I am lucky to have him.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

That program sounds very interesting---I'll take an eccentric any time....!
I cannot imagine you leaving your home---Like you, I'm out of here, feet first.

Pat said...

Naomi: I hope we both pull it off - in the distant future:)

Granny Annie said...

My "handy man" is there this weekend and I don't have to get dressed up for him. It is my son:)

I have often heard this word used but never had been quite sure of the meaning. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to look it up.

schadenfreude: noun, often capitalized \ˈshä-dən-ˌfrȯi-də\: a feeling of enjoyment that comes from seeing or hearing about the troubles of other people.

Pat said...

Granny Annie: happy to oblige. I just wish I was even faintly fluent in either French or German.

Unknown said...

The maledicent who sought out my ear to winx so gliriform-esque about Ralph?

...why, young Scarlet herself, of course.

Ms Scarlet said...

Ha!
I'll give im a winx alright.....
Sx

Pat said...

Scarlet and Chef: settle down children.

maurcheen said...

I'm never totally respectable before 8PM! And it's a small window, ask chef! :¬)

xxx

Pat said...

Maurcheen: like I'd trust either of the pair of you bad boys.

Mage said...

What a wonderful house. I have this reluctance to salvage an old house again. You sound great tho.

Pat said...

Mage: yes I think once is plenty.

maurcheen said...

:) xxx

Gadjo Dilo said...

"convert a historic mansion in York into a luxury hotel".... being risk-adverse (and perhaps unimaginative) I am always in awe of the ambitions of the business community!! Best of luck to them.

Pat said...

Gadjo: sadly only one of them survived.

Kim Ayres said...

Difficult to imagine you not being totally respectable in any garb :)

Pat said...

Kim: gee thanks. You and Chef have managed to make me sound like the most boring woman in Christendom.