Saturday, August 03, 2013

Then and Now


 
Then and now

 

The other day I had a delightful surprise when I received a comment from Stuart Nimmo the son of my favourite photographer – Neil Nimmo who I worked with way back in the fifties.

 
Stuart - a writer and documentary maker who lives in Paris said:

 
Neil was indeed a very great success but always avoided his own publicity. Unfortunately he died 20 years ago, he had Parkinson's disease, but while I visited him we found planning his 1944 story a great project to tackle together.

 I know that he would be thrilled to hear that his photography is still appreciated, as I think it should be, as a photographer he had the two rare skills of being able to anticipate the exact split second when to trigger the shutter, and a rare ability with light and shade, his great hero was Rembrandt!

 
Neil was a RAF bomber pilot and on Easter Monday 1944 he was shot down over France by Hauptman Helmut.  Stuart has written a book Perilous Moonlight about his father's adventures and having read some of the reviews I can’t wait to download it to my Kindle.

 
Who knew the gentle humorous man I knew had been such a hero.  He would have been the last person to speak of it

 
See photos below. 





















 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Lovely, as ever!! xx