Wednesday, September 09, 2009

A Wednesday Witter


Ooh it’s nice to sit down and have a bit of a chat. Our last visitor, for a while, left this morning and I planned to spend the day in bed but after a 6.30am start and the washing machine churning we have sunshine and there’s lots to do. Our handy man is finishing making our front entrance immaculate. Normally we never use it but that’s going to change. MT L thinks we should put our old horse shoe up - which we used to have at the cottage (if he can find it) but I feel with the all white- walls and red tile floor I’d like a bit of art. I’m feeling Aztec but am being restrained until we ‘give it more thought.’


Have you noticed how bloggers seem to be dropping like flies? Such a pity! And have you noticed the paucity of flies this year? Fine by me. I suppose it is – like everything else - down to global warming. I have a big blob of calamine on my cheek (face) covering a bite from some pesky creature.


I meant to tell you about Joy’s birthday outing. An indication of how long it has been since we last went to Exbridge, on the last visit I bought a fornium plant; it grew and grew and finally was swamping the garden and in any case the plant looked out of place. I dug it up – with difficulty - and replaced it with an Acanthus Mollis that also grew and grew and last year I dug it up but it bloomed again this year and obviously won’t go quietly. That’s just to illustrate that it was quite a few years since we visited the Anchor Inn. It stands beside a pack horse bridge on the river Exe and the 17th C Inn is mentioned in RD Blackmore’s novel ‘Lorna Doone.’


We discovered the new owners had only moved in the day before but we were made very welcome and had a good lunch with just one blip. The curry Margaret and I ordered was not hot enough (temperature) but Margaret sweetly suggested they stick in the micro wave for a while and it was fine and we were given complimentary poppadoms.


Joy opened just one of her presents from us as she wanted to save the other for the actual day. Inevitably I wondered if this would be our last with Margaret but hey we have another on Friday (Jackie’s B) so DV we’ll all be together again. After months of inactivity on the housing market Margaret suddenly got two offers one day so things are moving apace and at present I can’t get hold of her so imagine she’s at the other end where they have found a house they like.


We planned to visit the nursery after lunch but it was closed all day. Ending up at our local one I bought a real orchid. Joy admired it and said she would like one like that so I offered it to her. She refused as she said she had too many – she has six which she keeps going from year to year. I agreed and kept it.

27 comments:

L'Artisan said...

I think the lack of blogging is due to all the hubbub of this time of year -- people back from holiday, school starting, etc. -- and once the winter doldrums start, they'll all be coming back. Glad you are not waiting till then!

Love your photos. There's an Anchor Inn in East Sussex that holds a special place in my heart, very similar to yours.

Anonymous said...

That gravel bar under the bridge looks inviting. I'm surprised there were no kiddies wading in the sun.

Cheers.

debra said...

I have had s much going on in my life that I haven't blogged much lately either. I love your photos and the snippets of what's going on in your life, Pat.

Pat said...

Edelweiss: I and certainly my elder son would know your Anchor Inn - I lived in the Tunbridge Wells area for many years. I must ask him. Can you remember the name of the village?
I'm carrying on blogging regardless although I have to do some serious rethinking regarding my book - which will take time and effort.

Randall: it started to rain and there was a lone man sitting in the garden under an umbrella. I don't think he was going to paddle.

Debra: you'll be back I'm sure but it's nice you still come around.

Kim Ayres said...

If it's art for your wall you want, I'm married to an artist and the son of one too. Could probably get you a family discount :)

Charlie said...

A 17th century Inn amazes me: In the U.S., we're lucky if an Inn survives 17 years.

As always, Pat, your photos are wonderfully soothing.

Pat said...

Kim: thanks for the thought and I'll bear it in mind. It's not a straight forward decision as the space is very small with the front door opening into it and the hall door also opening in to it. When the paint is all dry and the floor is done I'll measure the space for a something.

Charkie: I'm happy to sooth:)

sablonneuse said...

If you're really missing flies this year you could have some of ours. The cats eat them if they can catch them but there are still too many around.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Everyone seems to be going to Facebook and just not blogging as much--OR, at all! I don't get it, in a way...They are two very different things. But maybe that's just me. I sure hope you keep Blogging Pat--Oh, and BTW: The Musso's FOOD is Up...lol! I feel like there are less visitors and partly, in my case, I have never updated to the "new" blogger because I didn't want to lose my Template--BUT, it means no one knows when I Update, nor do I know when they do....But that's how it was for ALL of us before. Anyway, I have noticed the difference quite a bit, plus, many bloggers are talking about Facebook on their Blog when they DO Post...

It sounds like there is quite a bit of activity around your house these days.....Busy with all sorts of things to freshen up the front and the garden. And it sounds like your day with the "Gals" was good, as always. Isn't wonderful to have friends for such a long time?

Barlinnie said...

Chap on that horse shoe 3 times before you nail it up with rusty nails, and for the love of God Pat, please ensure that you hang it the right way up.

... not that I'm superstitious or anything.

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

I so envy the way flowers BLOOM in England. There's something about the weather here that's stifling them, poor things.

Pat said...

Sandy: I don't miss the one iota. Dirty little beggars.

Naomi: nothing I hear about Facebook etc attracts me in the slightest. I do like the follower's thing - all those faces on my sidebar and often wish you had one then I'd know when you did a new post. Likewise if you became my 40th follower you would know each time there was a new post. I can't remember how I started but it must have been easy for me to do it:)

Keith said...

Pat, you're right about the bloggers vanishing like the summer rain (?). I don't get many hits now and even fewer comments so I am beging to think it's time to bow out gracefully and move on to other things.

Pat said...

Jimmy: I'm against the idea. Knowing MTL's DIY skills we could easily brain some unsuspecting visitor. Chap? Is that Scottish for tap?

GG: I didn't notice the flowers. Must go and have a look.
Ah yes - I can see a few.

Pat said...

Keith: dammit you're never here. Just stay in one place for a moment. Puleeze!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Without upgrading to the NEW Blogger, I cannot "FOLLOW" or have "FOLLOWERS"....I'll, try to let you know when I have posted something new....I will be posting a Tribute for one of the fallen on 9/11....

You said I know your passion....you mean Paris? Believe it or not, my dear, I've never been there except at the Airport. Isn't that pitiful?
If that isn't what you meant, Oh Do tell me what your "passion" is.....lol!

Pat said...

Naomi: desserts!

apprentice said...

Some new art for the walls sounds like a good autumn project. Acanthus is hard to get rid of, it is propogated by root cuttings, so any wee bits left in the soil will throw up shoots.

I'm glad your friend has a few nbbles on the house front, it must be a big relief and I'm glad that you still have a few things to do together.

L'Artisan said...

No problem remembering, PI, my Anchor in is in Barcombe, a village very near my beloved Lewes. My eldest went to school in Barcombe for a year and still treasures the little uniform she wore as a six-year-old.

Pat said...

Anna: the nibbles went all wrong and have resulted in a big drop in the price but as her husband said 'It's only money.'

Edelweiss: that is a bit too far away for us to know it well. It is a lovely area though.

Kevin Musgrove said...

What you really need is a nice stuffed moose's head. Adds a bit of character. (-:

Pat said...

Kevin: now why didn't I think of that? Mind you they're a bit thin on the ground on Exmoor.

rashbre said...

Our horseshoe never made it to the wall but lies on the ground instead. I do keep an eye on it and am aware there is a proper way were one to put it on a a wall.

Pat said...

Rashbre: I seem to remember that if it is upside down one's luck falls out.

Kanani said...

Yes, I've noticed that many have let their blogs go. Sad. But I think striking a balance by letting go of the blog has to be done at times...

Pat said...

Kanani: I agree. Sometimes it's seasonal and there'll be a surge in the winter. It's an incentive to read more blogs.

Baglady said...

I love that you told us which cheek your calamine was on. Just in case we got the wrong idea.