Monday, June 16, 2014


I thought I’d lost you

 
No sooner was the bathroom done – and I haven’t got the curtains back up yet – today was earmarked for replacing my office carpet with a hard floor. Much more hygienic – especially as it doubles as a dressing room and my make up has a habit of spilling over the floor.  Then I remembered the computer and its myriad of wires.  Perhaps if we just pulled the plugs out – gently moved it to one side, and sort of worked round it?

 
We don’t use our front doors in these parts but I thought it might be rather nice for the men if I unlocked it and they could carry the stuff straight up the stairs instead of coming in through the garage, kitchen and hall – with all the bends and doors  involved.

 
The front door is a stable door with ordinary locks, chain and two dead locks – one on the top half and one on the bottom and because the inner door hadn’t been opened since – who knows when, there were lots of little shells all over.  The top half opened readily after unlocking but the bottom half wasn’t shifting.  I tried a magic potion Sheila told me about which is first rate at unscrewing stubborn locks.  No joy!
 

So I greeted the men with the offer of tea, coffee and butterfly buns and the news that I had two problems.  After I told them the first they said they would just use the top half – no worries – and they’d be along after a smoke.  Meanwhile Sheila turned up as she is wont to do at 9am on a Monday.  She came to look at the door, thumped it and Hey Presto!

 
By now the men had asked for two teas and one coffee (they had a gorgeous young apprentice in the back of the van and were eager to know the second problem so I silently showed them the computer and all the junk attached.  You know I’m beginning to see why people have lap tops.   Sadly all three - although most presentable were self confessed computer phobes but we thought if we were very careful all should be well.

 
Sheila did ask if I would like her to take the coffee up the stairs – I’m too polite to utter Eliza Doolittle’s exclamation, but the thought did cross my mind.
When I got there the room was completely bare, I was a little taken aback but decided to trust in them, make myself scarce and do some gardening.

 
It took four hours with very heavy hammering which had me quaking under the kitchen ceiling.  They put things back – as best they could - but this week is going to be very busy getting back to square one.  They were very pleased when they plugged the plugs in and lights came on but after they left it was a while before I discovered which switch had silenced the computer.

Good job done!

 
See pics below

12 comments:

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

That is a "Phewwwww" moment! Heart pounding then resettling to its normal rhythm.

rashbre said...

We recently had to disconnect and later reconnect something and took a couple of pictures of the wiring on a mobile phone to assist the process.

angryparsnip said...

Goodness, just back from the cruise and you jumped in with both feet.
I am sure it will all be fine.

cheers, parsnip

About Last Weekend said...

I have a big computer whatever they're called but not many wires, which may explain why its so slow. They asked for a cuppa tea? In these parts (US) the workpeople even bring the potopotty with them.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

You are amazing, Pat! You sure are getting things ship-shape in your wonderful home....Glad the Computer came om, too....lol!

The Card Arrived, my dear and it is just WONDERFUL!!!! I thank you so much for thinking of me, dear Pat....It is a treasure!

Ms Scarlet said...

I have as many wires. Sigh. I try not to look.
Is that the new floor? Looks good. And you've been adopted by a cat! They are good at that.
Sx

Pat said...

GG: perfect description:)

Parsnip: I must learn to slow down and finish one job at a time.

ALW: potopotty? is that like a thermos flask?

Naomi: so glad it arrived. Now you and Kim have each others:)

Scarlet: yes it I the new floor and today at the hairdressers I realised I have been looking at it for a year or so. Must have chosen it from my subconscious.

Granny Annie said...

I tend to stress too much over these type of ordeals. You seem to take it all in stride.

Pat said...

Granny Annie: don't be hard on yourself. I'm a little further along the road and this last month has changed things and made coping so much easier. I still have my moments.

Pat said...

Granny Annie: don't be hard on yourself. I'm a little further along the road and this last month has changed things and made coping so much easier. I still have my moments.

About Last Weekend said...

Sorry portapotty or portajohn. you don't want to be around when its emptying day...

Pat said...

ALW: extraordinary! There's nowt so queer as folk!