Sunday, August 28, 2011

Is it still Sunday?

We were up at 4.45 am to see French son off - MTL put the alarm on 15 minutes early! Our visitor is now safely back in Tours.
Yesterday F.S drove me to Taunton to help me find the mobile I had set my heart on - the local shop with the not very helpful assistant is closed for refurbishing. Mobile phones appear to be doing a roaring business - every shop was buzzing with activity. At last we tracked one down where I could use my sim card and pay as I go. There were some complications which meant I had to pay for something Ididn't need but it all seemed worth it in the end. It has more facilities than I want but is an improvement on the old one and more user friendly. Now I have to R.T.F.M.


The shiny surface seemed to be blemished but F.S. told me it was a protective cover I can peel off. He has also mended our ailing phone so Australia was loud and clear this am. Swapping the filters seemed to do the trick.


I had never noticed this old-fashioned sweet shop before.


We had lunch at the County Stores and F.S. approved - lasagne for him and smoked salmon and scrambled egg on toast for me..
He gave me this beautiful orchid which is in fact more the colour of Shiraz. We have had some torrential downpours but last night had a last champers sitting in the sun and my pork chops with a crumble of onion, sage and breadcrumbs with apple sauce was relished.


Posted by Picasa

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the Orchid!

Rog said...

Very spookily I've just this minute been looking at a very similar orchid belonging to Big Nana.

angryparsnip said...

Those early morning calls make for a long day.
If your phone has a little hole, tab, opening (?) I don't know what to call it... on the top to the side, I will send you one of my phone charms from Japan, I buy them every time visit and have a rather big collection. I will send some photos you can chose !

cheers, parsnip

Anonymous said...

I hate getting new cell phones, because all I want is a phone. I don't need the rest of it, but finding a simple phone is a nightmare. I'm glad you succeeded.

Cheers.

Four Dinners said...

Poor little Mobiley...you don't love him anymore...:-(

I've a new phone too...no idea how to work the damn thing... supposedly I can update my driving instructor diary 'on the move' rather than spending an hour or so on the pc every night.

I will have to ask Jacqui how I turn it on and take it from there...the instructions are bewildering...

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Now you can take pics. with this one, can't you?

Macy said...

We've got a Henleys sweet shop too! They're always queued out the door, not least because they've got a very liberal try before you buy policy.

Anonymous said...

I used to have that same old blue Nokia. It lasted for years.

Pat said...

John.G: I wish I could get the true colour.

Rog: I hope it gives Big Nana as much pleasure as mine does:)

Parsnip: at first I thought you meant my land line and yes there is a hole on the side - top right of my new mobile. That is kind of you:)

Randaall : you have to pretend to be an old fogey and they will find one for you.

Four D: I'm with you about the instructions but at least you have two savvy people around. MTL is hopeless with techy stuff.

GG: no I can't. My camera would be mortally wounded if I didn't use it for photos even if it does get the
colour wrong some times.

Macy: wish I'd known. I just took the photo on the hop.

Nursemyra: mine has been a faithful friend for years but its face disappears sometimes and I can't see what I'm dialling.

Kim Ayres said...

That sweet shop has the look of one of those that doesn't exist when you next go back - all you find is a blank wall and no one knows anything about it...

GYPSYWOMAN said...

oh, what a beautiful orchid - but then, i've never seen an orchid i thought was anything but beautiful - they are all beautiful! and this one, incredibly beautiful and so "you" - can't believe you are having the phone issue as i am too - and in the midst of looking/shopping around myself - what an ordeal it is! love the sweet shop! yummmmm...

kenju said...

A beautiful orchid!! You'll miss your boy, no doubt.

Pat said...

Kim: the assistant in the top picture had an 'other world ' look about her.

Gypsy woman: good luck with the phone.

Judy: will miss but another one comes along soon:)

Granny Annie said...

Cell phones, sweet shoppe, beautiful orchid -- interesting mix for an interesting post.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

That Orchid is GORGEOUS! And I am assuming the NEW Phone is the silver-looking one...I think the Blue one is really REALLY Pretty...! I love that F.S. knew how to switch the filters aroubd...Amazing!
Were there some yummu chocolates in that Sweet Shop? (lol) That is all I am ever interested in...What kind of Chocolates are available....!

Finally have my Peacock Post up, my dear...! If you get a chance.

LL Cool Joe said...

One of my favourite things to eat is smoked salmon and scrambled egg on toast or a bagel.

That sweet shop looks amazing! I have a real sweet tooth and I love old fashioned sweets so much.

Pat said...

Granny Annie: More a gossip than a post:)

Naomi: I didn't see any chocolate, What would we do without that and flowers?

LL Cool Joe: it is a very civilised snack.
I daren't eat sweets these days but make up for it with chocolate.