Monday, January 15, 2007

TWO QUIET AMERICANS

TWO QUIET AMERICANS

I had not known Jermaine Jackson (Michael’s brother) and Dirk Benedict before but in the Celebrity Big Brother house they stand out as two beacons.  They are both way out of their comfort zone but, so far, have managed to keep their cool and their dignity and put some of the British residents to shame.  And of course, as tends to be the norm nowadays, some of the latter have none.

By the way it’s OK to watch CBB, now that Sarah Crompton has pronounced in the Art’s column of the Daily Telegraph, that it is ‘a masterpiece of modern television’.

‘What distinguishes it from virtually every other reality show, the quality that enables it to sustain the acres of programmes, blogs, vods, pods, texts and water cooler comment that springs up around it, is the way it hold an unflinching mirror up to the culture that spawned it.  If a Martian wanted to understand British society in 2007, this would be a very good place to start.’

And Heaven help us all say I.

Three men have voluntarily left already.  Film director Ken Russell who, nearing eighty, found the influx of Jade Goody, her mother Jackiey and boyfriend Jack all a bit much and who could blame him?  Rocker Donnie climbed over the wall when he heard they were coming.  His hard man façade didn’t fool me for a moment; in an earlier interview his mobile went off in the midst of his effing and blinding and spitting, and he said sheepishly ‘It’s my Mum.’

And the third escapee was Leo Sayer who lost it when CBB refused to give him clean underpants but had given him soap powder.   Both Jermaine and Dirk offered to give him theirs and even wash his, but he was incandescent with rage and upset Jermaine to the point of tears by not even saying goodbye to him.  He later apologised to the presenter Davina, after some prompting, but it was a sorry episode.

Jackiey has been voted out, deservedly IMO; she is a troubled woman but also can be mean-spirited and started the movement ‘let’s be beastly to Shilpa’ the Bollywood film actress who has the effrontery to be beautiful and graceful and dares to cook for them all.  She has more charm in her little finger than the three ladettes together could ever aspire to.  I feel quite strongly about this as I have seen too much mass bullying of someone who dares to be different.  Even idle Jack has climbed on the band-wagon and joined in.
By the three ladettes I mean Jade, Danielle, a WAG (wife or girl friend of footballers) and Jo – ex singer in a girl/ boy band.

Carole Malone the columnist has been voted out by the public so Cleo Rocos the friend of the late Kenny Everett, is the only mature, sensible woman left, trying to keep things on an even keel.  Actually in tonight’s programme she told a tale of when she wasn’t so mature and sensible.  She and Kenny had a night out and thought it would be fun for Cleo to prostrate herself on top of the car, in her tiara and evening dress and make siren noises as Kenny drove along.  They were stopped by the police who asked Kenny if he was aware of what was on the car roof whereupon Kenny said ‘Oh that’s where you are Cleo!’

The picture changes all the time and of course anything can happen so please Jermaine and Dirk, I’m begging you, don’t let me down.
Maybe I’ve been too harsh.  Maybe I’m the only one who has been watching it.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

To me they're all sad losers.

It's car crash TV and I'm a reluctant rubber-necker.

Pat said...

Well done for 'fessin up andrewm!

kenju said...

You make me wish I could see your version of BB. I watch it here and take a lot of flak from most people..."How could you watch that drivel?". I find BB to be an interesting take on the social interactions of people and the fact that they are marooned, so to speak,makes it even better.

kenju said...

You make me wish I could see your version of BB. I watch it here and take a lot of flak from most people..."How could you watch that drivel?". I find BB to be an interesting take on the social interactions of people and the fact that they are marooned, so to speak,makes it even better.

Pat said...

Couldn't agree more Judy. You would be proud of your countrymen.

carmilevy said...

I keep waiting for the so-called reality TV fad to run its course. I find these shows to be something akin to popcorn. At first, they smell and taste great. After you've had 'em for a while, though, you feel empty inside. And when you look at your greasy fingers and the butter-stained bag, you realize you're left with nothing more than a temporary feeling of nutritionless pseudo-satisfaction.

I look forward to the day when we get back to scripted, produced and acted shows. Reality shows, on the contrary, will be as forgettable as the latest Julia Roberts flick.

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

I've never seen Big Brother and would love to, brings out all the curiosity in me about people, how they react, behave.

Pat said...

carmi: now I feel guilty for watching. I do know what you mean. Our TV is like a desert a far as decent drama is concerned. Occasionally we get one and it is a wonderful oasis. So much talent - so little opportunity to show it.

Pat said...

GG: sometimes I think I shouldn't watch it as I get upset. Shipla is being bullied by three ignorant women and I find myself shouting at the screen. They are so stupid one should pity them.

utenzi said...

I've not seen any reality TV shows other than "The Amazing Race", Pat. This one you describe sounds a lot like several of the reality shows that are shown here in the US. From what I overhear at work, they seem to have a very dedicated following.

Michele sent me over, Pat.

Pat said...

Hi utenzi: as you'll see from the comments there are mixed feelings about them. They tend to highlight the best and worst of human behaviour. At the moment bullying is being highlighted and causing public disapproval - which has to be good.

Gorilla Bananas said...

I'm amazed you watch this stuff, Pi. Wouldn't you rather watch ballroom dancing or something? I can see why you're rooting for the bullied beauty, but couldn't she just walk out of the door?

Pat said...

GB: welcome! Bananas on the side board. Hope you are not too disappointed in me but human behaviour does interest me although after yesterday's display of bullying, ballroom dancing is looking increasingly enticing. Shilpa could walk out but she is a professional who has signed a contract and why should she let these unspeakable people triumph over her.
I'm going to watch elephants tonight.

Anonymous said...

You've beaten me to it again! Hi - my name is Sim and I am a BB addict. I was going to post on the coven of J's tonight. After watching last nights update, I was so angry I couldn't sleep. Even Jack is in on the action and no one is defending a young lady (who Danielle keeps reminding us is 31 - oh, the horror!) who is graceful, cooks for them and acts as a friend only to be slated for all of her actions.

The harshest thing is that this reminds my father of how my own mother was treated when she arrived in the UK many moons ago...

Pat said...

Sorry Sim dear but you can still post - it is a moveable feast and I've lost the taste for it. I understand your rage. Don't let it upset you. As one of my commenters said 'what goes around comes around' and they will get their come uppance.
Give my love to your mother.

Anonymous said...

Caz watches it n I peer in occasionally. Dirk, Jermaine and Shulpa seem remarkably normal. WTF they doin' there? The Brit members are like evacuees from chav central. Embarrassing. Changin' me nationality forthwith.

Donny's a pretend punk. Punk lived n died '76 - '78 but what a great life. Short but bright.

Pat said...

dp: I'll bet Donny would have had the guts to do more than sit on the fence re the bullying. It was mentioned in Parliament today and almost a diplomatic incident between India and Britain. Shall we be Hindu? The saris are beautiful.

David Edward said...

reality about TV, IF no one watched it, it would go away.... and the world would be better.

just my ranting

Michele bla bla bla

Pat said...

David: on the whole I agree with you but hopefuly this latest debacle has highlighted some covert bullying and possibly racism in this country.

Anonymous said...

Cleo a "mature, sensible woman" ??? But after what I saw last night (Cleo teasing Dirk in orange-wigged character) she's lost her dignity a bit, hasn't she? It was embarrassing car-crash tv. I knew she fancied Dirk and it would come out soon, but it's come out in the most embarrassing way possible. And after removing her wig she just started to behave like a woman scorned should. A bunny boiler in the making...

Someone's who's not convinced by Cleo and probably reluctantly agrees with Dirk who sees as her as "desperate and lonely".

Pat said...

Anon: I'm glad you commented because none of my friends here admit to watching it and last night I longed to say 'My God! What's happened to Cleo? Every word you said is true and I can't understand what has sent her over the edge. It was ugly and desperately sad. I had been a little unnerved by her immovable face. Goodness knows what lies beneath. Yes I was totally wrong but had decided that everyone had had enough so wrote no more.