Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A Port in a Storm 1

Staplegrove Lodge - parts of which date back to the 15th century

A haven for me. The patient spent the first night with me so we could be at the hospital for 7am. The plan was that I wouldn't use the car until I had to and a taxi took us to the hospital. Finally, at the end of the four days, I got us safely home, thankful to have avoided the stress of extra parking and maneouvering.

Adjoining the bedroom is a vestibule for making drinks and a bathroom- all quite spacious and private. Downstairs is a pleasant drawing room and a dining room where I had breakfast. Then I would walk to the hospital, spend the morning there, cross the road to a little shop that sold everything, for something for lunch, walk back to the Lodge, have a bite and a rest then back up to the hospital till the evening. A last walk to the Lodge, a sit in the garden,
then dressing gown, a drink and another snack. alarm clock set for 7am and I slept well apart from one night.

The day of the op was churning but once I established a routine it was bearable. Crossing the road was tricky - if you crossed by the crossing you ran out of pavement for a stretch so I learned to go down to the large roundabout
and wait for a quiet time. I had many offers of lifts but I found the walk to and fro calming.
One day a cyclist silently came up behind me - on the narrow pavement and forcefully knocked my umbrella out of my hand. I was too shocked to yell at him.

. .

Posted by Picasa


Eryl said...

The lodge looks lovely: calm and light, and its proximity to the hospital perfect. I like its little touches of blue, too, there's something slightly quirky about it.

There's nothing like a routine to bring a little calm to even the worst scenarios, makes you feel like you have some control over somethings. So glad you had that.

Pat said...

Eryl: the bathroom had an ornate tile frieze in blue - like the one I have except mine is about a third of the width. The curtains in the bedroom trailed feet of material on the ground. I wonder if she had bought then from some stately home.

You are so right about routine. I panicked until I settled in one.

kenju said...

It was a nice place to stay during a stressful time. I'm glad it went as well as possible.

mapstew said...

Doesn't a walk do wonders for the mind?
This looks like a very calming place to stay too. How are you, and the patient? :¬)


Maggie said...

You are doing so wonderfully well through all of this. I hope the surgery solved the problem and that the two of you can take your healing walks together now.

Pat said...

Mapstew: the nurse today said she saw a big improvement in the patient. she said I should get out more:)

Maggie: thank you. A way to go yet but it is going in the right direction.

Queenie said...

The Lodge and its environs look delightful. And next time it will be a known quantity, and you'll settle into your routine more quickly. You're doing so well! x

savannah said...

xoxoxoxo for you and himself! routine makes it a bit easier, but as you told me, take care of yourself, too! you have our prayers and massive good thoughts sent across the pond!

Pat said...

Judy: so far we have been very lucky.

Queenie: thank you. I spoke to then tonight and mad a provisional booking for the next session. You're right - it won't seem nearly such an ordeal this time.

Savannah: thank you Savannah - I do appreciate it and know you understand what it is like.xoxoxoxo

Scarlet Blue said...

Sending you good vibes and hoping that the patient makes a speedy recovery.

Guyana-Gyal said...

What a delightful place. It reminds me of places I've stayed in Jamaica...some parts of Jamaica can really look like England - St. Mary is one.

Keep safe and take care of you and yours, Pat.

Pat said...

Scarlet: thanks - its slow and steady rather than speedy. He's been climbing the stairs alone and today I caught him moving the car in the drive. In fact if he stuck to my routine he'd be a model patient. Hmmmm!

GG: I always think of Noel in Jamaica. Did you see his house?

The Cloudcutter said...

How pretty and cosy it all looks! And I love your description of your daily routine. How many minutes was the walk from Lodge to Hospi?
Stupid cyclist!!! Grrr...
Also very very happy to know that the patient is doing well. Take care of yourself too dearest Pat.

Pat said...

CC: thank you. I was thinking today how energised I have felt lately. I hope it continues. The walk was about 12 minutes depending on how long it took to cross the road.

Guyana-Gyal said...

Yes, yes!!! I've been to Noel Coward's house, Firefly. It''s...words fail me, Pat.

It's a stone house, at the top of a cliff, and the Jamaicans maintain it beautifully, the grounds and everything.

There's one room that overlooks the ocean.

I saw his grave. He was born on Dec. 16. My birthday! That house should be mine!

Pat said...

GG: of course it should:)
Lucky you to have seen it. What feelings it must evoke. I was mad about the boy.
He was once travelling - through Italy I think it was - with his buddy Gertrude Laurence. They called at the British Embassy and signing the book noted that the previous visitor had signed:
Summers Cox.
So they wrote

Guyana-Gyal said...

tee hee

Pat said...

GG: good - i as afraid I hadn't told it right:)