Sunday, June 21, 2015

So this is Germany.

We docked at Travemunde - which means mouth of the Trave - our first port of call in Germany.  Most of us had already chosen the excursion for our brief stay - not an easy task when you are unfamiliar with the area and there are usually half a dozen to choose from.  In the end I opted for Lubeck.  I remember the boys' father had been there when he was in the navy in WW2 and chose to see it by boat.  Lubeck is a UNESCO heritage town and we travelled the 20 kilometres  from the ship by coach.  Below is our boat.
 
 
 
 
Lubeck is a city of spires including the twin towered Holstein Gate, St Mary's and St Peter's churches

We floated past merchant homes, historic granaries, salt storages and warehouses of this once world leading trade city.

Malerwinkel or artist's corner is a peaceful spot


It was always a joy to get back to Braemar for a delicious meal. 
In fact the only fly in the ointment was I couldn't use my tablet as the ship - at the time - couldn't access wifi and at one time I was texting our French son in Paris to text
my DIL in UK to text me - as a helpful passenger had deleted her details on my phone.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely pics and you chose well, Lubeck is marvellous!

Pat said...

rosneath: thank you - that's a comfort.

LL Cool Joe said...

I know this sounds awful but I tend to always picture Germany with grey skies, but it does look very pretty too. A ship without wifi would be hard to cope with!

Anonymous said...

Looks a lovely place!!

angryparsnip said...

What a beautiful city with all the spires.
A river cruise to see the sights sounds lovely.
Wonderful photos.

cheers, parsnip

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I am unfamiliar with Germany---Lubeck looks very interesting. It is amazing how we have all become so dependent on Texting and communicating in ways that weren't possible back in the day.....The Times, They Are A Changing, as the song goes.....

savannah said...

What great photos! the MITM was just in Stuttgart for a meeting and took a day trip to Heidelberg before he left Germany. I'm hoping I'll get a chance to visit there with him one day. xoxox

Pat said...

Joey: I always imagine the cities as grey and bleak so this was a revelation. They do say travel broadens the mind:)
The lack of wifi was my one beef.

John: peaceful too.

Parsnip: I was sensible and avoided heavy duty touting.

Naomi: I have finally seen the sense in texting. Much cheaper too when abroad.

Savannah: you must insist whilst you'r estill fit enough to run up and down mountains:)xoxox

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

How pretty!

I also pictured Germany as having cold stone buildings, no trees.

How the Internet has opened our view of places, people. In most cases, I hope.

Ms Scarlet said...

Helpful people can be so... unhelpful!!
Same here, I often visualise cities with grey skies - all but London, but that's because I started work there when it was summer.
Sx